And Amber Waves of Grain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Salina
July 21st 2013
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Ah, the wide open plains of Kansas! Though we haven't seen Dorothy or Toto, we have enjoyed the rolling hills, expansive fields and unending rows of shoulder-high corn (not as many amber waves of grain as we had expected to see in Kansas, though). In fact, we're enjoying the drive so much we've decided to press on farther than our original intended destination at the kids' urging. Either they really love the car, or they just want some more DVD time.

We said goodbye to our family in St. Louis this morning and headed over to Kansas City to watch the Royals play (and unfortunately lose to) the Detroit Tigers. The visit enabled Todd to add one more entry to his already impressive list of stadiums he's visited, and gave us all a good chance to stretch our legs and experience some midwestern culture and hospitality. One of the most memorable moments was observing the absolute and complete stillness and quiet that descended upon the crowd of thousands as the national anthem was sung at the opening of the game. Not only was every spectator in the stands at attention, every vendor, every concourse meanderer, and even every gift shop attendant and customer, stopped whatever they had been doing, and stood respectfully for the entire song. Living in Washington, DC, we've seen our share of patriotic displays, especially over the last 10-12 years. But this was patriotism on a whole new level, and with an entirely different feel. This was homegrown, deep rooted, pervasive to its core love of country. It just doesn't happen the same way at Nationals Park or even Wrigley Field. It was a sight to behold.

The sweltering sun made for a very warm afternoon, but we climbed high to some seats in the shade and watched the favorite American pastime while cooling off with water-spraying misters, blue raspberry sno cones and exorbitantly priced bottles of water. But it was a great way to spend an afternoon together.

And now we are once again heading west to our (current) mecca of Denver. The kids cheered at the idea of driving straight through and arriving around 2 am on Monday. We shall see - something tells me Colby, KS may be looking pretty good in a few hours. But who knows? Semper Gumby, right?

There's no place like home when home is the US of A.
Marcia

Advertisement



22nd July 2013

Let's hear it for the Midwest!
I love the pictures. The Royals stadium is beautiful, I think. The Nats are not doing well at all! Boo! Have fun!
22nd July 2013

Midwest memories
So glad you are enjoying midwest hospitality. My home, as you know. I think it's an underappreciated part of the country. Quiet reserve can easily be confused with indifference, when it's just the way folks are. Deeply patriotic, deeply religious (sometimes to an extreme), deeply family-committed. But let the record reflect: couldn't wait to see Nebraska in my rear view mirror! Can't wait for the next installment or to know what the kids say when they see the Rockies for the first time.
22nd July 2013

Chuck is free tonight
Chuck just called from Denver and he is free tonight after about 7 pm. He would love to take you all out to dinner -- and can take a cab/etc to wherever you are. Let him know: 202-441-0529 (cell) or cgray@naruc.org. He has his iPad with him in meetings. Love you all.
22nd July 2013

Question?
Now, just who was Amber waving to? The Royals? From England? Please talk that with a grain of salt. Looks like fun. Love the shades.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb