07 SPC Thomas Regan Patriot Guard Ride


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Leavenworth
May 31st 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leavenworth National CemeteryLeavenworth National CemeteryLeavenworth National Cemetery

The din and shout are past.
<<>> Good Luck Mechanic

SPC Thomas Regan of Topeka, KS, assigned to the 250th FSC KSARNG, was killed in an automobile accident last weekend. His widow, Rebecca, requested the attendance of the Patriot Guard at his wake and burial.

Bring your big flags. Ride Captain is Mechanic.

-------

That is how they come. A simple email followed with the instructions on where and when to meet up, or ‘stage’ as they like to call it. The request for the Patriot Guard to join them was late coming, with less then 24 hours notice, 20 riders showed up in Leavenworth, KS, Thursday morning at 9:30am. This would be my first funeral with the Patriot Guard. I had ridden in the 24th Marines Homecoming, but that was different. The visitation was the previous night, but I couldn’t make it. The Patriot Guard had lined the Funeral Home with nearly 100 flags. They did it as it down poured.

We met up at a parking lot in Leavenworth. I learned that this was the first time that Mechanic was a Ride Captain for the PG. I knew her well from my HOG group. During the riders meeting the Police escort showed up. They had been called at 6:30 that morning and asked to provide an escort for the riders to the National Cemetery and had immediately agreed, providing 2 cars for the escort.

As we proceeded to the cemetery with police lights flashing and flags waving in the breeze, cars pulled over and stopped as they met us. The funeral was supposed to be at 10AM, but they were late getting there. I believe the wife and father were coming from Wichita KS which is a good 3 hour car ride. We waited about an hour. But the weather was good, the company was good and the reason was deserving. I was impressed with how well the Cemetery Director kept us informed. He was constantly going to Mechanic with more information. And Mechanic was passing everything along.

When the wife and father arrive they are taken to toward the front of the procession. So the order is the Director in his SUV, 2 PG riders, the limo with Wife and Father, a Mini-van with Mom, the rest of the PG escort and then the rest of the family and friends in cars. The National Cemetery in Leavenworth is huge. It makes the Ft. Scott (KS) National Cemetery look like a family plot. I already have my plot in the national Cemetery in Ft. Scott. Will be there with other family.

The destination was the chapel which I think was on the southern side of the cemetery. We lined the route and saluted as the body passed. SPC Thomas Regan was cremated and mostly held in a plain white plastic container. As the service was going on the rest of SPC Thomas Regan was placed in the Directors SUV. This was a small 6x6x8 white cardboard box. Nothing was said, but I am sure that was what was in that box. I had a dog cremated once, it was a beagle and the container was only slightly smaller than the plastic container that went in for the service. I have told my family for years when my time comes, I am to be cremated.

The service was short but I was impressed with as many military personnel that showed up. There were several officers, a group of 6 that I am sure would have been the pallbearers if there had been a casket, the bugler, a 5 man gun squad. We stayed outside in line during the service, could hear anything, but knew when prayers were going on and I bowed my head when I thought it was appropriate. At the conclusion of the service and the 15 gun salute and the playing of taps, a major came through and shook the hand of each Patriot Guard member, he was followed by 5 family members who also came through and thanked each one of us.

The Cemetery does not bury the person at the time of the service. That is done later. Mechanic told me that she has not ever been there when that is done. As the limo leaves and family and friends leave we gather for a short period and then disperse. Some go home, some go for lunch. Its 11:30AM at 2:30PM many of us will met up again and head to the same chapel. It’s the last Thursday of the month, time to bury all the vets that died in the local Veterans Hospital that did not have any family. This month there are 14.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb