Field of Dreams & Iowa


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa
April 29th 2007
Saved: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Nebraska CampingNebraska CampingNebraska Camping

Jim and Lisa relaxing at the campsite
We spent most of today going across Iowa which to our surprise was quite scenic with rolling hills and farm houses with silos. It appears that the more silos you have the better off you are. We stopped in Ames Iowa for lunch at the Main Street Brewing Company. Lisa had the pale ale and I had the Scottish ale. Both were good and clean but the Pale needed more hop nose. The bitterness was spot on.

After we left Ames we headed for Dyersville Iowa which is the home of the Field of Dreams movie set. The place was just like the movie but with a twist. Left and center field is owned by one farmer and the rest of the field and the house is owned by another. Apparently they do not get along because there are two roads leading into the field and two souvenir shops. We got the feeling that the two sides do not get along. Needless to say the field and area is spotless and there were a bunch of tourist kids playing a pick up game while we were there. Over all it was very cool.

We decided to head to
Field of DreamsField of DreamsField of Dreams

The ultimate baseball fan enjoying the moment
Illinois to spend the nigh instead of staying in Iowa. For most of the day it was about 90 degrees and slightly windy. After crossing the Mississippi river into Illinois we noticed some dark clouds to the north but figured the weather would stay to the north, wrong. We pulled into a campground in Lena Illinois just as it started to rain heavily with thunder and lightening. The office closed at 5PM and we showed up at 5:45. Just as we were pulling away the owner showed up and put us in a cabin so we would stay dry. Talk about coincidences, the owner works for Oracle and is flying to SFO for a meeting in Redwood City for a couple of meetings. After a beer and a making a couple of Manhattans the weather cleared up and the sun came out; strange weather to say the least Tomorrow we are going to visit a couple of cheese makers and head into Chicago for a deep dish pizza.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

The Field of DreamsThe Field of Dreams
The Field of Dreams

Kids playing a pick up game
Roughing it in Lena IIlinoisRoughing it in Lena IIlinois
Roughing it in Lena IIlinois

Waiting out the rain with a cocktail


Comments only available on published blogs

30th April 2007

oh man!! :)
the Field of Dreams!!!! i always wanted to go there! pretty cool! :)
1st May 2007

Chicago, Chicago.............
Looks like you two are having too much fun! Hope you get to see a game at Wrigley, good eats there too! Have an extra piece of deep dish for me............
1st May 2007

This is great!
Hola Lisa and Jim: I love that you could share your great pics and read about your trip experience. I am so happy for the two of you. This is going to be a vacation you will alway remember and may God protect you as you travel and bring you home safe, healthy and filled with beautiful memories. Adri

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb