Heading Home .... eventually


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got up early Monday morning so that hopefully we will travel far before the heat and the impending thunderstorms.

Shortly after getting up and leaving Henderson, Indiana we came upon a Detour before the town of Marion, Illinois on Hwy 3 taking us into a big circle to get back onto Hwy 3 heading NW. It was a beautiful country road that gave up a wonderful surprise taking us by a Covered Bridge that was being restored.

We came upon the home town of Sgt Alvan York. His Griss Mill was still in tact with a room full of personal pictures and newspaper articles of the like of Sgt York. There was also a big old building (like a general store) full of gifts and momentos of Sgt. York.

Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 - September 2, 1964) was a United States soldier, famous as a World War I hero. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others during the U.S.-led Meuse-Argonne Offensive in France.


We did an excellent job of going around St. Louis, MO ..... was getting very hot but the traffic wasn't too bad it was still early enough that we were missing the rush hour traffic. Truckers here on the Interstate don't know what speed limits are. They kept passing us in the hammer lane and most of the time they would wonder onto the rumble strip making a heck of a loud noise. We tried the interstate to make up time but it sure isn't our favorite road to travel. A car spun out a little ways in front of us and ended up in the median between the wire that was put there to help stop head ons. It worked that little car ended up between the wires facing the opposite direction no one was hurt. A big beautiful black Hummer with a Dr. license plate keep passing us on and off for about an hour or so but we passed up him when he had a flat tire. Boy those Hummers can lay some big hunks of rubber.

Around 1pm it was very hot and humid with a few scattered clouds with a threat of an impending Thunderstorm. We finally gave up around 3:30 and found a motel in Missouri just 52 miles south of Kansas City, MO.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BridgeBridge
Bridge

Crossing the Mississippi
Covered BridgeCovered Bridge
Covered Bridge

Alvin York's Griss Miss
School SignSchool Sign
School Sign

NO DOUG do not stop .... remember we are on vacation!
GearsGears
Gears

Gears for the York Griss Mill
TowersTowers
Towers

Crossing Kentucky into Tennessee


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb