RIHLA #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
May 18th 2013
Published: May 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

<strong style="font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; color: #cc0000;">Summarize a current events issue that relates to human rights - are rights being protected or harmed? Explain fully. What do you think about the issue?

Currently human rights are not being upheld in every part of the world. In many countries where there is a high demand for cheap products and too many workers, the rules around human rights are bent a bit. In India, the world's third biggest exporter of clothes, people are focused to work in dangerous conditions and work for very little pay. Because the business owners only want to make money, they do not always care a lot about their workers. Since 2005 about 2,927 workers have died because a lack of safe working conditions. The workers in countries like India also work for very little pay. In 2010 the average wage was $38 a month. This wouldn't be tolerated in America, so how do we expect others to live like this? We buy all of these clothes that say "Made in India/China/Vietnam", but we do not think about all the hard work and injustice that went into making that $15-$45 shirt. I think that we send to much think about human rights, but we are all talk and no action. Sure there are a few people in history who have stood up for human rights, but the average person does nothing. We all say, myself included, that it is terrible that the Indian workers died in a factory collapse, but in a couple of months who will remember this? We have let too many violations of the United Nations's Universal Declaration of Human Rights just slip by us. I think that as a world we have to become better at finding places where there is injustice and we have to stand up for the people being mistreated. We all get upset when we hear about slavery, but do we do anything after the couple of weeks/months the publicity is over? I think that we have to learn how to stand up for the underdog and continue to fight for the <em style="font-size: 1.4rem;">Universal Declaration of Human Rights to be accepted by all governments and enforced across the whole world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb