RIHLA #17


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 11th 2013
Published: February 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. What are some of the reasons that books are banned in schools?

Some of the reasons that books were banned was because of sex, profanity and racism mainly. Some of the other reasons were because parents just wanted to protect their children's minds.

2. Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain FULLY.

In some situations, I would agree, but in other reasons, I wouldn't. Such as, if the book was being delivered to young children in elementary school, like fifth and sixth graders, and it had sexual content or strong profanity in it, I would probably agree. If it were high schoolers who should already know about those kinds of things, and it's not as bad and doesn't take out the point of reading it, it's not bad.

3. Who should be able to decide what books should be taught in school?

I believe that teachers should be able to decide what books should be taught in school, but I also think that students should be a part of the decision as well. If students feel as if a book is not going to benefit them, they should be able to veto the decision of using a book in school.

4. If an individual wanted to fight book censorship, what is an approach they could take?

They could talk about the pros and benifits of having those books, and what people could learn from reading it. They could also talk about how there is no good reason to ban a book, because books are beneficial themselves, because they help us in reading.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb