RHILA #29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 20th 2012
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As stated in the “About us” tab, the Amnesty International protects people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. It is the largest human rights organization.<span><span> It also helps individuals from being abused, educate, and mobilize in public. The article I read was titled “A Dream with a Deadline”. It is an upsetting story about a Latina high school senior who is being deported right after she graduates from high school. <span> Her mother brought her to the United States because in Guatemala the government was taking the teachers benefits away and the guerilla soldiers wanted to recruit teachers. Her mother thought that she could give her daughter a better life, so she brought her to the U.S. However, she received a letter saying that she would be deported. Moreover, the DREAM act allowed her to stay for a longer period in order for her to finish her studies. Later throughout the year she received another letter saying that her last day would be in June 2012. Her story reminds me of the Human rights act: Right to an education and maybe asylum. I say right to an education because as an immigrant, she has done nothing but provide good service, taken all of her education to succeed as a person. The second one, because her mother left Guatemala to let her daughter have a better lifestyle, but the U.S.A isn’t allowing her to stay. It really makes me upset that people who actually try to leave something in the past or try to look for a better way of living, for the most part, end up getting hurt. For example, some teens, who are citizens, of the U.S drop out of school and become parasites and are not productive. Moreover, teens that come from other places have goals and actually do better than any other student in their school. I think that students should be allowed to get a full citizenship, only if they actually pursue an education.





http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/news-item/a-dream-with-a-deadline

Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb