Rihla #22


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 11th 2012
Published: March 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. The article describes Kony 2012 and the debate about how the charity spends the money it raises. Kony 2012 is a campaign by Invisible Children that is aimed to making Joseph Kony known and raise support for his arrest. For over three decades, Kony has been responsible for violence and genocide throughout Central Africa. He has forced over 30,000 children into sexual slavery or soldiers. He has even forced these children to slaughter their own families. In 2011, the organization raised $13,765,185 and spent $8,894,672. 80.5 percent of the organization's expenses went to educational programs, awareness campaigns, and grants to existing programs in Central Africa. Critics say Invisible Children's money and focus should be on Kony's victims and not just on his capture. Grant Oystan says," The issue they have is money spent on campaign awareness."

2.This event relates to the topic of forced slavery we have discussed in class. Just like slaves were forced into the middle passage, these children are being forced to become young soldiers and even kill their own family.

3.The organization Invisible Children has led to Kony's trial of international war crimes.

4. I want to know more about how this one man Joseph Kony came to power and why didn't anyone stop him during the three decades. In order to know, I will have to research more about Kony and Central Africa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb