RIHLA #20


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 26th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How has the Columbian Exchange & Triangle Trade affected current day foods & culture?



Provide a family recipe that includes at least one of the following ingredients and then answer the questions that follow:








Pierogi A Polish dumpling that contains many filling such as: meat, potato, cheese, mushrooms and cabbage, sauerkraut, fruits, and etc. Pierogis can be fried or baked.







1. What are the origins of this recipe?

The Orgin of this recipe is from Poland.





2. Does your family in someway identify with this recipe? Why or why not?

Since my mothers side of my family are polish, on holidays we usually eat pierogis and other polish foods. Since we usually get together on a holiday that is when we eat a lot of polish recipies. We identify our roots with the food we eat. It signifies who we are and the ethinicty of our great grandmother and father.




3. Do you think people should have access to a variety of foods? Why or why not?

I think people should have access to a varitey of foods, becasue not only are they different becasue you get to learn through others food. For example, some places use a lot more sea food, than others. Food is a culture that needs to be explored, it helps you learn and find out about other places. If a person can try different food, then they are being more open to others culture and other regions, which is something we need more of.






4. In general, do you think food is an important aspect of one’s culture? Explain.

I think it is kind of important. It i important to know where you come from and food is apart of that. Food is a apart of ones culture. It really defines where you are from, like before certain places use certain things, and that shows how you are connected to the others that share your culture. Food helps bond people together that have the same culture. It is a way to get closer to your family and indentifies who you are.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb