Roman games: chariot racing and gladiators


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 7th 2011
Published: November 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Throughout Roman history playing games has always played a major role in the way society finds their entertainment. When it came to gladiators the people loved to see gladiators fight to the death. The emperors used gladiator fights as a way to entertain the poor and working class people so that they would nit revolt against them. Gladiators were usually slaves, prisoners of war, or volunteers. Those who volunteered became gladiators for the purpose of becoming famous. The slaves and prisoners of war fought as gladiators so that they would be set free. Woman were also volunteered to fight as gladiators. In order to become a gladiator one must go to a school and train to fight. All of there gladiator events were held at the Coliseum. Chariot races were adored by the roman people and were held at the circuses. Roman emperors even became involved in the chariot races placing bets on the different chariots. Chariot racing was very expensive but was able to bring in a lot of money through profit There were four different teams in the chariot races Reds, Blues, Greens, and Whites. The most favored teams were the greens and the blues. In the races each team would go around the track seven times and whoever the winners were were considers famous throughout the roman city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb