The Windy City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 9th 2008
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chicago SkylineChicago SkylineChicago Skyline

Reflected from the Bean
We spent a day and a half in the windy city. We visited a high school friend Dom Mascis who lives in the center of the city. He was a great host and tour guide for our first part of the weekend. We sampled some local beer and great deep dish pizza on Thursday night. We even had a few more local beverages on the top of his apartment building looking over the city after the feast.

Friday we hiked up to the third tallest building in the world, The Sears Tower. We'll we really took the elevator ride, and saw some spectacular views of Chicago. We walked over to the bean and the free outside concert hall to check out the local arts and music scene. The Millenium Bridge crossed the turnpike and we were able to walk along Lake Michigan down to Navy Pier where a giant ferris wheel takes tourists up to look over the lake and the city. Instead of taking the ferris wheel ride, we walked the river walk back along the Chicago River to watch a rubber duck race and get some grub at a local hoagie establishment Jimmy Johns. The sandwich was delicious.

In the afternoon we took the El Train down to Wrigley Field to check out Wrigleyville. The St. Louis Cardinals were in town, so the fans were extra animated when the Cubbies pulled it out in the 11th inning. We boarded the El Train again heading to the south side of the city for the Whitesox vs. Redsox game. Kristen was able to get discounted luxury box tickets for the game as her school, Johnson and Wales, had an alumni reunion for Chicago students and we jumped at the chance to see the sox play in a different park.

The sox won 5-3, but the wrong color! Oh well, it wasn't the best night for our team, but the 20 minute fireworks display after the game was certainly worth staying to see. We then took the El Train back to the center of the city and had a few more local beverages on the roof of Dom's apartment.

Today we are headed west trying to get in a mini-golf round, tour a couple of breweries in Madison and Lacrosse, Wisconsin before finding a place to stay in Minnesota for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Kris and DomKris and Dom
Kris and Dom

View from the top of the apartment.


11th August 2008

Love Chicagoland
Looks like you guys are having a great time! I loved Chicago, have been twice visiting a friend that lives in Joliet. Millenium park is so much fun, loved watching kids get spit on by the big giant head fountains. Good pic of the giant bean. Look foward to viewing more of your adventures Take care and stay safe, happy travels! Sue
14th August 2008

The BEAN
I've been to the subjurbs of Chicago, but never downtown. Am I the only one who does not know the Bean story? Would love to have seen Wrigley Field and a SOX game, but don't know what is meant by "wrong color"?:(
15th August 2008

The Windy City
I believe the bean is just the name given to the sculpture by the artist. I don't know of any other story other than that. When I said the wrong color won I meant the White Sox beat the Red sox in the baseball game. We're headed up to Glacier next. Any insights for that park?

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb