Farewell to the USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
July 19th 2019
Published: July 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We’re waiting to go to the airport hoping the flight can leave on time. A number of flights have been cancelled this week because temperatures have been too hot for planes to take off. But it’s only 35 so far today, not as hot as expected so fingers crossed.

We have met up with Alison and Lance from the American Queen so did a river and lake architectural cruise this morning. A real relief out on the breezy water. The skyline is spectacular from the water with lots of parks and amenities, including a science museum and aquarium on the water front. No condos or hotels are allowed in order to give people access to the shore, although there is a 6 lane highway between them and the shore, accessed via underpasses every so often.

It’s impressive how they have cleaned up the river which goes all the way down to the Mississippi.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Being in the centre of the USA gives you a perspective of the size of the country, a huge landmass to the east and west, and now the south.

New Zealand seems very insignificant at the bottom
One of many iron bridgesOne of many iron bridgesOne of many iron bridges

They all can be raised especially for yachts coming for the winter.
of the world but it is amazing how many people we have met who have been there. If they haven’t it’s on their list, often because of Peter Jackson’s films.

Oh well New Zealand, here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Going into the lockGoing into the lock
Going into the lock

There’s about 5 feet difference between the river and Lake Michigan. It also controls the flow of water into the river.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb