Into Idaho


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Lava Hot Springs
September 1st 2017
Published: September 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1386IMG_1386IMG_1386

Near Salt Lake City
Today was another travel day. We continued north into Idaho. We passed through Salt Lake City and we did see the Great Salt Lake as we went by. I didn't get any pictures, I was quite occupied by the heavy traffic and didn't think of it. I was also a bit hesitant to get off the expressway and try to drive a motorhome towing a car through city streets. Provo blended into Salt Lake City which blended into Ogden, making for a long stretch of busy traffic. Clearly most of Utah lives in that corridor, as the rest of the state was relatively deserted.
So we didn't see the big Mormon temple. Every town of any size that we passed through had a Mormon church, but I never saw a single Methodist church or even a Catholic church in Utah, not to say that there aren't any. They might be hiding out back somewhere.
We stopped for the night at a KOA in the town of Lava Hot Springs, Idaho, population 407. There is a very nice complex of five pools fed by hot springs, with temperatures ranging from 102 to 112. We went this afternoon for a little while and
IMG_2921IMG_2921IMG_2921

Southern Idaho
will be going back this evening.
The weather here is thankfully a bit cooler than southern Utah and the countryside is mostly a dry grassland with more trees now. The Salt Lake City area was a flat valley with steep mountains rising abruptly on both sides. This part of Idaho is more like rolling low mountains.
Tomorrow we will move on into Montana.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

IMG_2924IMG_2924
IMG_2924

Hot springs pools
IMG_1403IMG_1403
IMG_1403

Train going past the hot springs pools, along the side of the mountain. The craggy rocks I believe are eroded lava.


1st September 2017

Lava Hot Springs
Lava Hot Springs looks like a nice place to visit. Unique and a more comfortable size than Salt Lake City. You will never see me attempting to drive in the Salt Lake City area. The reason could be fear or wisdom. Maybe a mixture of both. But I would like to see the great Salt Lake.
1st September 2017

Lava Hot Springs
It was a nice little town to visit, just what we needed. There was a marina on Great Salt Lake so apparently they take boats out on the lake.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb