O What Fun...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
January 10th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Holiday Season in Hawaii. No Snow, no White Christmas, no Problem. As reported in last years Blog complete with photos, titled, O Come All Ye Bruddas, The City spares very little expense and effort to convert our City Hall Complex into a Winter Wonderland, with mammoth statutes of Santa Claus, Frosty the Snow Man and Family and various Christmas Scenes. On top of this, the tree lighting ceremony is preceded by a Honolulu City Lights Parade, a fairly short parade through the main heart of downtown Honolulu, consisting of gaily decorated City Vehicles and marching bands from almost every major high school on Oahu.

It was my first in attendance, though it’s in it 10th Annual year. Frankly it was pretty Small Town production, however the spirit and enthusiasm of the surprisingly pretty large crowd was evident. It was also the night of the match between the University of Hawaii’s 12th Football game which was being played in Honolulu and televised on ESPN with us going for our 12th undefeated game. We had already clinched the WAC Title in our 11th Game. I expected crowd turnout to be a bit small for the parade because of this, however, there were many good daddy’s bringing their families to enjoy the Parade in spite of this. While walking home after the parade, I overheard someone tell another that UH was behind with a score of 23 to 3 or something to that effect. However, when I reached home, the score was something like 23 to 18. Eventually the UH was able to overtake Washington at the last minute winning them a bid to the Sugar Bowl. This “Go Warriors” fever added to the joy of our holiday season in our State, this year.


Of course, the whole season was marked with much music and shows in the Shopping Centers, shopping, feasting and merry making as in any other state.



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb