Oahu: People and Places.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waimanalo
January 30th 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The people of Hawaii can be described as racially diversified, though the population of the mainland U.S. is beginning to appear so too. However, though the racial make-up of the rest of the U.S. seem to be predominately Caucasians, Blacks and Hispanics and a minority of Asians, in Hawaii, is seems more to be East Asians, Southeast Asians, Hawaiians and other Polynesians, Caucasians including Hispanics and Blacks. Also significant are the people of mixed racial background of the above mentioned races. Maybe some of the photos can do justice to what I’m trying to describe. It was taken during a parade to honor the University of Hawaii Football team that won the WAC Championship, but also included other UH teams and Local High School teams.

The photos featured here are of a small Southeast Corner of the Island of Oahu which includes the Kokohead-Makapuu area and the district of Waimanalo. The landscape is varied, in parts dry, rugged yet very beautiful. For those who may be thinking where they can go to spend a day or even part of the day, this section may be the answer. If you just want to relax and go sightseeing and don’t want to expend too much energy and time, this is the place. If you want to sightsee, have lots of energy and time to spare this is also the place for you.

As most hotels are located in Waikiki, what the visitor needs to do is just drive East on the main highway called Kalakaua Ave. He’ll end up on Diamond Head Rd. which will then take him around Diamond Head and on to Kahala and the Residential Areas of East Honolulu for about another 5 miles. When he’s at the base of Kokohead, he has arrived.

Just about a few feet is the entrance to World famous Hanauma Bay, shown in the movie Blue Hawaii. It is a must stop for everyone, as the view from the top and the beach below is breathtaking. Also highly recommended is some snorkeling to experience the magic of the underwater sea-life there.

After leaving this paradise, you may (or may not) want to visit the Kokohead Botanical Gardens located a few more hundred feet away within the Kokohead Crater. However, it can be a hot dusty walk, so it’s not for everyone. It’s has many Cactus and other plants.

Again a few more hundred feet is the Blow Hole Lookout, which one can see the island, vaguely, of Molokai, on a clear day. If you’re lucky the spouting Blow Hole will put on a wonderful geyser show.

Proceeding on, you may see a sign saying “Ka Iwi”. Actually is better known as the starting point for the 45 minute hike up an old service road to the Makapuu Lighthouse. The view going up is quite spectacular as well as the finale at the end, of Rabbit Island and the coast of Makapuu and Waimanalo. This is an option for those with energy and time, but also highly recommended (by me). If it’s early in the year, you may see whales. However, if you’re not the energetic type, as you drive a few more feet pass this sign, you will see a lookout point, that gives you also a pretty good view of Rabbit Island and the Coast, sans the sweating.

As you continue on, you pass though Waimanalo, know for it’s beautiful beaches and view of the rugged Koolau mountain ranges. Most of the homes belong to Native Hawaiian homesteaders. However, deeper into the valley towards the mountain
Rabbit Island.Rabbit Island.Rabbit Island.

Looks like a whale, but called Rabbit Island because of the abundance of rabbits there. Also a Bird Sanctuary.
range, you see more agricultural farms especially flower nurseries. Just by the lush tropical greenery that surrounds you, you can understand why.



Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Sculpture State Fish.Sculpture State Fish.
Sculpture State Fish.

Humuhumunukunuku'apuaa.


31st January 2008

can't wait to get there
Thanks much for the pics-) We leave in a week and I can't wait!
1st February 2008

Woohoo! You're gonna love it!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb