Greetings from Honolulu!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
December 26th 2006
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Honolulu skylineHonolulu skylineHonolulu skyline

I was expecting a proper shanti toen.....obviously not!
Well after a mommoth 4 days at sea, some severe sickness mixed in with some severe dining and relaxation......we finally hit land. Not just any land, no, Honolulu on the island of Oahu. First impressions of this area....well, beautiful buildings, the sun was shining and id heard on the grapevine that the shopping was fantastic....so i was happy to say the least!
Upon arrival at destination, you go through the most boring pocedure to actually get off the ship...involving lots of queing and angry mexicans thrashing about to show their frustration at not being first in line. Sounds funny....but this was first of many queues to be experienced this holiday.

Nevertheless, we stepped onto dryland for the first time in ages to soak up some Hawaiian culture. This is not the place to go to for culture. As beautiful as Honolulu is, its the cosmopolitan capital of Hawaii, full of wealth and worst of all.......tourists. Let me tell you....Waikiki beach....NOT ALL THAT! Unless you want to put your towel right at the back nearly on the road where all the dogs poop. I wasnt that desperate for a sun bathe!

At this point, shopping seemed like the saviour. We
Beautiful sunset over Paradise CoveBeautiful sunset over Paradise CoveBeautiful sunset over Paradise Cove

This was just the perfect setting....what Hawaii is all about
visited Ala Moana Shopping centre, most presitgious on all the islands. I found a few bargins, my uncle keith spent a small fortune, we ate dinner and left. At this point im very excited to have arrived, but am left wondering if there will be anything about Hawaii that i cant already do at home?!?

That evening was the Luau at paradise cove. You can see from the pictures what a beautiful setting it is, what you may not be able to tell from them is the quiet, tranquility of the place was being shared by the other 2000 people who had also paid their $50 to enjoy in the luau experience. Extremely touristy, not really my scene, but neverless a good night of dancing and hula and weird food was had by all!

The next day was our busiest planned, we were up bright and early and onto a bus to more chants of 'Aloha' and off to see the Arizona memorial and Missouri at Pearl Harbour. I wont say too much about this because, although a huge tourist attraction, actually being there was an incredibly humbling, moving and emotional experience.

So that was Honolulu....where to
Hula Girl EmmaHula Girl EmmaHula Girl Emma

At the Luau at Paradise Cove
next your wondering.....well we've got an overnight sail to the wonderful island of Maui....yipee.....maybe this will be more of what i expect Hawaii to be!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The USS MissouriThe USS Missouri
The USS Missouri

Pearl Harbour


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb