Last Day In Watkins Glen and On To New York JFK and Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
July 13th 2014
Published: July 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi from us again.



We are now at the JFK Inn near to the JFK Airport where we leave from for Hawaii tomorrow.



It is now 10.40pm on Friday night and we have just got back to the hotel but more on that later.



Unfortunately we don’t seem to be able to connect to their free wifi so I’m going to write up the last 2 days in ‘Word’ and try to get internet connection at the airport in the morning and publish this latest blog…….MAYBE……all going well.



The last 2 days have been both relaxing and hectic.



Thursday was an ‘Our’ day in Watkins Glen as we did our own thing for the day in and around the town.



We started by taking our car down into WG and parking it under a nice big shady tree in one of the side streets near to the main entry point of the Watkins Glen Gorge and then Judy drove us in her car to the Northern end of the Gorge and dropping us off there.



We walked the Gorge on our last visit in October 2011 from the bottom end to the top. However it was autumn, or Fall as they call it here, and the autumn colours were magnificent in their reds, yellows, browns etc. etc. and we wanted to walk it this time in the summer when everything would be very green and it would look quite different, especially from a photography point of view for Joy.



We were not disappointed!!!! It was incredibly beautiful again but beautifully green!!!



By walking from the top down to the main entry point we did it the easy way as the other way it is a very steep climb and we were thankful for that as it was a very hot day.



The Gorge was very busy with walkers, in both directions and we did a very leisurely 2 hour stroll through it with lots of video and photos being taken. The myriad of waterfalls were nice and full due to the rain over the last few days but the water was still very clean and clear.



A FANTASTIC morning and we rewarded ourselves with a ‘little’ ice-cream at the end after buying a couple of small souvenirs.



We then walked the short distance back to the car and went to Burger King where we thought they probably had free wifi……and we were right. We wanted to get into the emails as we hadn’t been able to check on anything for a few days since leaving Keuka Lake, and I also had that big long 3 or 4 days worth of blog to publish. BKs got a small order out of us and we hammered their wifi doing emails, checking on banking, and doing blogs and generally catching up. Thank you BK.



We then drove down to the huge Walmart on the edge of town. For those of you who have never been to a Walmart in the States, it is like the Warehouse on copious quantities of steroids. They also have a huge full grocery supermarket, unlike The Warehouse, and they are cheap!!!!



We picked up a few bits and pieces, including a cheapy underwater camera for Hawaii (as Joy forgot to bring her really good Panasonic underwater camera with us.) I bought some of the Gillette razor cartridges I use for shaving as they are half the price here compared with home, even taking into account the exchange rate.



We then wandered in to the centre of the town, which is quite small, but has a variety of boutique type shops including a ‘Famous Brands’ store that has just that and most of the stuff is cheap. Their Levi jeans were even $5 cheaper than out the outlet centre. I bought a couple of pairs of really nice green trousers for work as they are hard to get in that colour in NZ nowadays. Joy bought a couple of smaller things.



We then wandered up one side and down the other or the main street which just about filled the day in.



We had intended taking a ride out on Seneca Lake on a cruise launch but just ran out of time as we were all going out to a restaurant in town for dinner at 6pm.



So we drove back to the house and got changed into ‘dinner’ clothes before heading down to ‘Jerlando’s, an Italian Restaurant in the middle of town with Albert and Judy to meet Becky and Ted and Nicki’s 2 girls as well as Judy’s brother Jim and his wife Lois for dinner. They live at Horseheads, a town down the road a bit from Watkins Glen.



We had a lovely pasta dinner with everyone which we both really enjoyed before they all came back to Albert and Judy’s for an ice-cream supper and a lot of chat!!!!!



WE had to say goodbye to Becky and the 2 girls when they left around 10pm as we wouldn’t be seeing them again. Bit sad!!!!



We finally hit the sack, rather later than we had been during the week for our last sleep in WG.



That was Thursday.



Today was ‘moving day’ and we got up and got packed up before having breakfast and then having to say goodbye to Albert and Judy for, maybe, the final time. (That’s tempting fate I know!!!)



Albert and Judy had done a bit of work for us in preparing a route to our hotel near JFK Airport that was different, as much as possible, from that which we took on the way up from NYC last Saturday.



THANK YOU so much Albert and Judy for your incredibly kind hospitality over the last week. We had a exceptional time in and around the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY. We saw so many beautiful places thanks to you. We can’t thank you enough and words will never adequately express the depth of our gratitude. It was really neat to catch up Ted, Nicki and the 2 girls again last weekend and to spend time with Becky which included a tour of her lovely home in Painted Post. Also, of course, to meet so many of your wonderful friends at Keuka Lake and have them be our tour guides on Wednesday.



It was a really special week and one we won’t forget for a long time. We still haven’t seen that Black Bear yet so MAYBE………………… (Never say never!!!!)



We headed off using the GPS and the route notes from Albert and Judy, along with our ‘snack pack’ which included cans of Diet Coke and ‘cheezits’ and Doritos. Judy, we only needed 2 ‘potty’ stops on the way!!!!!



The drive to NY and our hotel in Queens was uneventful and we arrived at the hotel in one piece after negotiating the mind boggling traffic, at about 4pm.



However I do have to mention one thing!!!!



We stopped at the Pennsylvania Welcome Centre after we crossed into that state from NY and used the restrooms. Obviously PA has more money than NY as once again their restrooms featured really nice 3 ply toilet paper as opposed to the cheap 1 ply that the toilets at NY rest areas had. Just a small thing maybe but never-the-less something that stuck in my mind……yeah I know I’m simple….but it’s the little things that count sometimes, isn’t it???



After booking into the hotel, which is a bit of a tired place but handy to the airport, we returned our rental car to Budget at JFK Airport as we thought it might be easier to do it this afternoon while we had plenty of time rather than in the morning when time might be a little tighter.



By the time we got back to hotel it was about 5.30pm and Joy decided that she wanted to head into Manhattan to go up the Rockefeller Centre building as we didn’t quite get there during our week in the City. The last time we were here in 2011 with Robyn and Trevor we went up the Rock quite late at night and Joy really wanted to do it in daylight.



Man what a mission!!!! Mad taxi drive to the train station in peak hour traffic, about 15 minutes away, with a horn honking Indian cab driver who I’m sure thought he was the only driver allowed to be on the road. Queens is an interesting borough of NYC. I think we were the only ‘white’ people there!!!!! A lot of it resembled what our perception of Harlem was and turned out not to be (if you get my drift) and I was glad we weren’t walking to the train station!!!!



We then took the E train into the middle of Manhattan, about a 45 minute ride. I thought we were never going to get there.



Did the ‘Rock’ in daylight after paying our $29 each admission, along with thousands of others all trying to get the best vantage points on the 67, 68 and 69 floor observation decks!!!!



We then walked down into Times Square which was just ‘manic’ on Friday night!!!! Had a bite to eat at a nice deli that served NY style sandwiches, much like the NZ variety and then found the subway again and headed back to Queens on the E train. Another 45 minute ride and another taxi ride back to the hotel, although this one with a more evenly mannered driver, who was also much cheaper!!!!



Arrived back at 10.30pm and as it is now 11.40pm and I still can’t get internet access I’m going to sign off, hit the sack and try to publish this tomorrow somewhere!!!



We have to be in the hotel lobby at 7.20am to get the shuttle to JFK so it will be an early start.



Bye for this week.



Hello again, we are back!!!!

Couldn't get internet at the JFK airport this morning to publish anything so it was on to Hawaii where I am completing these few lines at 1015pm local Hawaiian time.

Saturday was another 'moving day' and a long boring one at that.

We got the shuttle from our hotel to JFK OK and after booking in with the airline we had some fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast before heading to Gate 14 to board the Airbus 330 for Honolulu.

JFK airport is massive. We've been through some big airports in all of our journeying over the last few years but this is the first time through JFK. I could see at least 2 runways operating at the same time and there were probably more that I couldn't see. It was sooooooo busy it was unbelievable.

Anyway we boarded at 9.15am and took off on time at 10am for Honolulu. 10 and a half hours!!!!!! I know that's not long compared to some flights but I have to admit we both struggled with this one. We were flying all during daylight hours but it was still very tiring and we tended to read and doze but it was still very uncomfortable as all 'economy class' travel is. However Hawaiian Airlines have been marvellous to fly with. Their terminal service has been good and their inflight service has been very good with good food and beverages etc. etc. and today was no different.

We finally arrived in Honolulu at about 2.30pm local time after going backwards through the time zones (I think). we were both a bit jaded.

The weather here was warm but not overly oppressive as there was a high cloud cover. But when the sun was out it was HOT!!! and humid.

We eventually got our bags and headed to the Budget Rental office to pick up the car. And what a car!!!!

We are driving a very nice blue Ford Mustang convertible. The odo says it has only travelled 19,500miles but the interior would suggest that may not be accurate. Either that or it has had a hard time as a rental car. Anyway it is very nice to drive and is currently safely tucked away in the hotel garage (at $22 per night!!)

We found the hotel and got booked in with no hassles. We are in a penthouse condo at the top of the Aqua Aloha Surf Hotel. The condo is actually privately owned so we are renting it through the owners agent and don't get room/maid service but apart from the room being a little tired (carpets are worn and paint and paper need doing) it is very comfortable. We are right at the top on 16th floor, as you would expect with a penthouse and have a view of the sea out one side and the mountains from the other side. We have a large 'lanai' or balcony/deck on 2 sided with tables and chairs on both of them. The condo has a reasonably well appointed kitchen so we can do our own cooking if we want to etc. A large super king size bed in the bedroom and plenty of lounge chairs etc. It will be quite acceptable for the next few days!!

After getting booked in and unpacking we headed downtown to find a bus to the huge Ala Moana Shopping Centre where you can find anything from the cheaper brands to the very expensive. We wandered around and also had a bite to eat for dinner in the 'Makai Moana' food court which was unbelievably massive.

Got the bus back here and picked up a few supplies for breakfast etc. from a nearby supermarket and back to the condo just before 10pm and finally got some internet access in our rooms after having to 'reboot' the wifi system.

That's our day. Nothing too exciting but we are in Hawaii for the next 6 days and looking forward to getting out and about. Still haven't got the itinerary finally planned yet but more on that as the week progresses.

Hopefully I can get this published tonight if the internet plays the game!!! and maybe even get some photos up with it.

Aloha from us in Waikiki.



PS. Me again. Sorry folks, tried to upload some photos from the last 2 or 3 days but the internet access is too slow and it won't do it. It keeps timing out so I'm going to publish the words and will try to catch up on photos another time if the internet behaves.

Aloha

Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb