Spectacular Beauty of Manoa Valley - From the Mountains to the sea


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
January 28th 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning, we went to the Lyon Arboretum where the U of H does all its botany research. The student guides gave us a tour and could answer all of our "What plant or tree is that?" There are many beautiful trees, plants, and flowers there.

Next we drove (motorcoach) to the University of Hawa'i' at Manoa and were met by Dr Lee Putnam of the student services office. She greeted us and asked us all to come in to a classroom. There are barely enough chairs for all of us, but were now a captive audience. Dr Putnam gave us an orientation to the campus and explained what her office does. Then we were "released from class" to go explore. It was kind of nice to wander around and think about being a college student again. Many of us would say "You can't go back" and we don't really want to. Ah... Memories, Memories.

John and I wandered a bit and tried to figure out the campus maps. After asking directions several times and walking for what seemed like forever, we finally found the Paradise Palms Cafe. Soon we ran into Walt and Florence and we all had lunch together. Then we went back to our meeting spot and our bus awaited.

We are now headed to Wiakiki and the Waikiki Aquarium. When we get there John says he needs to pick up his prescription downtown so we decide to skip the aquarium and walk back to our hotel. John investigates which bus (Honolulu has an excellent transit system called THE BUS) he needs to take to get to the pharmacy, and I decide to rest.

About the time John gets back, it's time for the resident Bar Flies to meet. By now Jamie and Claudette have scoped out a close by bar right on the waterfront named Tiki Grill & Bar. So we go there (walk 2-3 blocks) and have refreshing drinks. As the sun sets, more and more people casually come to the bar and pretty soon there's lots of talking. Then it was time for our dinner so we walked the 2-3 blocks back to the Queen Kapiolani . Dinner was good and Susan gave us the preview of tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Honolulu SkylineHonolulu Skyline
Honolulu Skyline

Panoramic view of Honolulu from tha student services building at the U of H
THE BUSTHE BUS
THE BUS

John rode downtown to get his prescription


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb