The Vibrant History of Pearl Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
January 29th 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before our visit to Pearl Harbor, Susan has emphasized that there is a STRICT POLICY of NO BAGS of any kind! Therefore, we were prepared. Cameras, but NO CAMERA BAGS! So we filed, one by one, through the security gate and were "inspected". We all "passed" and went in to view the short movie and see the small museum. There were several models of the USS Arizona as she was before the attack.

The USS Arizona memorial was impressive. I had no idea that the Memorial is placed right on top of the sunken USS Arizona until I saw it! In the very same place the ship was attacked and sunk and is, in fact the grave of the many who died there. Wow! When we were boated out to the memorial, I also realized that the ship can actually be seen under the water! Some of the super structure can also be seen above the water . You can actually imagine standing on the deck of the USS Arizona!! Again,WOW! The amount of people on the memorial is controlled and you're not allowed to stay past your alloted time. That means everyone gets an uncrowded view.

After we had our alloted time, we came back to shore and had lunch at the museum park. Then those who wanted to, went in to tour the USS Bowfin Submarine. Some people were also interested in the USS Missouri, mored close to the USS Arizona out in the harbor.

We boarded our bus and then went to The National Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl. It is called Punchbowl Crater because it is a remnant of a long extinct Volcano. Here we were met by Mr. Wong, a veteran, who gave us a wonderful tour of the cemetery and Memorial. The glass mosaics depicting the Pacific theater of battles were particularly enjoyed by everyone. Punchbowl - a hill of Sacrifice in ancient and modern times - is a place to remember the innumerable individual sacrifices in all these wars and the collective loss we have suffered as an international brotherhood of man.

We returned to our hotel and "regrouped" for dinner. We were served a Thanksgiving dinner with dressing, gravy, and all. For me, it was the best meal yet. I really like Turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Preview of tomorrow, and we all fall into bed





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb