Punchbowl and USS Missouri


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
May 16th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again from Hawaii. Yesterday got away and by the time we got home from dinner Bob and I were so tired so I will try to do both days now. We went to Punchbowl yesterday morning. It is so beautiful there. It wasnt crowded at all so we went thur the murals. Bob told us all about where he was. Karen recorded it on her camera. This time it was more emotional for him and I could hear the stress in his voice. We walked around some after that, took pictures and just appreciated the sacrifice all the men and women there made for our freedom we enjoy today. It is a very sobering place, yet still so beautiful and enjoyable. We left there and went to the Arizona Memorial. Just wandered thur the museum and took pictures. Left and came back and Mark, Barb, and Karen went swimming. Bob and I went to the beach and walked along the beach wading in the water for quiet some time then just sat on the sand and people watched. Later we went out for a great dinner and listened to the Cazimero Brothers. They are so great. Now for today, we went to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and had a nice breakfast then out to the Arizona Memorial again only went aboard the USS Missouri. It was such a great experience and although Bob wasnt on a ship like that he could tell us a lot about it. From there we went to the Navy Air Museum on Ford Island ( Bob was stationed there for several months just before he got out of the Navy).While there they found out he was a WW2 veteran, a lady came up to him and said "I understand we have a celebrity here" and proceeded to ask questions. Gave us guest passes to to back and someone is to call and set up an interview with him. They will video it and it will go in the archives and we will get a copy of it. We are all pretty excited about it but he is a little nervous about it. Got home and Bob went and laid down and is sleeping. He is doing well but does get very tired. Thats about it for today. Will have a nice dinner here tonight and maybe go wading in the water at Waikiki beach again this evening. Till next time, Aloha By the Jana thank you so much for helping to make this trip possible!

Advertisement



19th May 2008

Awesome!
I am so excited that you guys are having such a good trip and great experiences! Great Grandpa is getting the respect and appreciation that he deserves, which is so awesome! I cannot wait to see that interview! We love you guys and so glad you got to take this trip! The pictures are also great-that tree Aunt Barbra and Uncle Mark are in front of is so cool! Have a great rest of your trip!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb