Freedom Tour day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
August 24th 2011
Published: August 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was supposed to be a two parter, Pearl Harbour and the Polynesian Cultural Center. We arrived at Pearl by 8:30am. We went to the two new museums there and at 10:15 went on the boat to the Arizona Memorial. What a moving site. The oil is still bubbling after all of these years. Kathy heard a story that when the survivors of the Arizona or those who had been posted to it pass on they are cremated and buried with their ship mates. The legend is that once the last sailor passes and is buried the oil will stop rising to the surface. I for one would like to believe this is true. Military men and women share a special bond, especially those that lived through the war.
When we got back to Pearl we bought tickets for the Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum. The cost of the Arizona was nothing but the tickets for the other were 38 dollars each.
There is a shuttle bus that takes you to the other sites. On the Missouri we were given a guided tour of the ship including seeing the spot where the war with Japan ended. There is a plaque on the deck to commenorate this moment in time. Then we were free to wander around the ship. We could not believe that we were on the ship for almost 3 hours and still didn't see it all.
From there we hopped back on the bus to go to the aviation museum. This was a relatively small museum compared to others we have been to. But it was very well done and it was the site of the

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb