Kauai - Day 7 - North Shore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
March 14th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up this morning to what I swore was a hurricane. Turns out it wasn't even close, but I haven't hear wind and rain like that ever. By 9 a.m., though, the whole thing had blown over and the skies were blue and the birds were going apeshit per usual. Since the surf was so rough that day ane we still had a day left on our snorkel gear rental, we decided to head up north to Ke'e beach which is protected by a reef. We stopped in Princeville on the way because we hadn't been there yet. That place was creepy. All rich, white people. It was like Bellevue on crack (well, minus all the sprawl and skyscrapers, but you get my drift). But, the shopping center there had a Leippert's...Jeff heckled me for wanting to get ice cream at 10:30 in the morning. We wandered around there for a while, shopping, etc. We found this place to eat lunch that didn't look like much, but was the only restaurant we could find (the Princeville "Shopping Center" is basically a big condo and time-share selling place). We just ordered several appetizers...brie & bread, some other stuff, I got a salad and the best damned Strawberry daquiri that's ever walked the face of this earth. Heaven. We moved on to the Ke'e beach and the surf was so rough that is was crashing several feet UP and OVER the reef. So much for snorkeling. We hung out there for a bit, but the beach was tiny and crowded so we headed down south and stopped at this Wai'oli Beach Park in Hanalee Bay. We stayed there for most of the afternoon. Jeff tried snorkeling but I was too afraid of the waves there and just played in the surf. Jeff is like a fish, seriously. If he were a superhero he'd be Aquaman. I would be Aquapuss and my only power would be sitting on the beach worrying. We went back to the hotel and got all dolled up. We'd wanted to go the the Beach House in Po'ipu for a ritzy, special last night in Kauai dinner, but we forgot to make reservations until the morning of...so our dinner was to be 20 miles South of us at 8 p.m. When we got back from the beach, we decided that we didn't really have it in us to drive all the way down there. So, we opted for this nice restaurant that we'd been driving past all week, the Lemon Grass Grill. OMG, what a waste of time and money that experience was (see my review at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60616-d447841-r7173621-Lemon_Grass-Kapaa_Kauai_Hawaii.html ). Jeff and I still had a blast. His drink was so bad that he dumped it into the bushes next to us because he didn't want to hurt the waiter's feelings. I thought I was going to laugh up a lung over that. We went back to the hotel bar afterwards got beers and sat outside talking for hours...it was a really lovely evening, minus the meal!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb