Day 2 - Hawaii Cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
January 8th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have docked in Kauaii and had a jungle waterfalls kayak tour today. But when we got off the ship and onto the bus, it was cancelled due to the extreme weather. Apparently the river was overflowing. So that put a dampener on our plans. We ended up catching a shuttle to the local shopping center where we bought a few little things. We went to the tour place there and the lady suggested we hire a car for 24 hours (as the sip was staying in port overnight). So that’s what we did.

We hired the car and went right around the island. Drove for about an hour and a half to the south west side of the island and stopped at the Waimea Canyon which is the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It was quite similar just more green from the moss and vegetation.

Next we drove back towards the ship and went to this really nice beach- Poipu Beach. It was what we imagined Hawaii to be. Palm trees, green grass, blue water and sun. Also visiting the spouting horn which is very water is drawn under a rock and is spurted out through a hole in the rock- was very cool. Stayed there for a bit and continued driving. Found a Kmart on the way back to the pier so we went in. It was massive, didn’t buy anything tho. Went back to the pier and parked the car and got back onto the ship.

Our overall impression of this island was that it is a lot more developed and civilized than what we thought. People spoke fluent English, there were shopping centers etc. It was very green, the island is called the Garden Island as it is always raining on this island and the plants flourish. Also something that we found quite strange was all the chickens. There were chickens everywhere like we have sea gulls. Apparently something happened a few years back and all the chickens got out. As there aren’t any foxes or snakes or anything to kill them, they just multiplied and now they were everywhere. The beach, the side of the road, the canyon, everywhere!

Once back on the ship we went to a comedy show, which was good. He made jokes out things we didn’t understand and referred to the some audience members as golden girls; he also apologized for not being as exciting as bingo and referred to hot flushes.

Benn then wanted to hit the gym which was very whiz bang. He had a good workout where I just read a magazine while on the bike. Had another nice 3 course meal and went to the show “Broadway’ which was non stop dancing for an hour- it was a lot of energy. They had a 50’s and 60’s party after this which consisted of people who actually lived in the 50’s and 60’s at our age now, so we didn’t really fit in!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.4kb