Transfer Day - Hilo to Kailua-Kona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
January 17th 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today after breakfast, we're all packed and in the coach luggage and all. Our first stop is Hawai'i Volcanos National Park. we walk through the rain forest and through an extinct lava tube. Rob & Susan tell us about the many trees, ferns, and blossoms of the rain forest.

We drive up to the Jaggar Musem at the top of Kilauea crater. Once again, we couldn't see into the cauldera because of the heavy mist and rain (at least we got to use our rain coats). We had lunch at the Volcano Golf and Country Club. Yes, even in Hawai'i golfers are out playing in the rain.

Next we stopped at Black Sand Beach, enjoyed the scenery, and took lots of pictures. It was a long drive to Kailua-Kona but we all dozed along the way. Checking in at the Royal Kona Resort was a discovery event. The resort is built right on the volcanic rocks at the water's edge so you can sit at the bar or cocktail lounge or dinning room and view the waves crashing on the rocks right in front of you. The sound of the waves is somehow calming.

Our resident
Mist in the rain forestMist in the rain forestMist in the rain forest

At least we got to use our rain coats
bar-fly 5 met to have before dinner drinks and enjoyed full sunshine fading to a beautiful Hawai'ian sunset. We had a dinner of mahi-mahi and watched the waves lit by flood lights. A large aquarium in the dinning room area had many colorful fish to calm us also. How relaxing! Paradise!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Black Sand BeachThe Black Sand Beach
The Black Sand Beach

Marty has a handful of "black sand"
our groupour group
our group

Susan waves to gather us
The resident bar-fly 5The resident bar-fly 5
The resident bar-fly 5

By now, meeting for before dinner drinks had been established


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb