Makali'i


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
February 28th 2008
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Makali'iMakali'iMakali'i

Nia sanding the canoe.
Today we was an exciting day filled with a lot of work. We woke up at about 7:00 and got ready for the day. We left at about 8:30 a.m. and went and met up with Yin and Chris at the Kawaihae Pier. We went down to the pier to work on the canoe Makali'i which means small eye, with Chadd Paishon a captain and navigator. In 1976 Chadd and a bunch of others built a canoe, Hokulea and sailed to Tahiti under the navigation of Mau Piailug from Satawal an island in Micronesia. Mau taught them how to navigate using just the stars, moon, sun, and the feeling of the ocean. Chadd gave us a history and showed us around the canoe. It is a very large canoe. It was finished in Febuary 4, 1995 and they sailed on Feb. 28, 1995 from Hawai'i to Tahiti and then on to the Marquesas and then back to Hawai'i. After we were acquainted with the canoe we got to work. We started sanding the railings and varnishing them. By working on the canoe, we acquired the right to sail on it. We had a lunch break and then got back to work.
Makali'iMakali'iMakali'i

Tasha striking a pose while sanding the canoe.
Next we were tying the floorboards tightly together. It took a lot of muscle and a complicated knot. After that, we came to the house for a half and hour and got ready to go to the beach! We went to a white sand beach called "beach 69." The waves were enormous! We went body surfing, swimming, and sunbathing for about 2 hours. We came back to the house and got ready for a traditional dinner with Chadd. He brought over chicken lau lau, which is marinated chicken wrapped in taro leaves. It was very intresting. After dinner we watched "Hokulea; Passing the Torch," which documented the first sailing of the canoe Hokulea. Then we relaxed and got ready for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Makali'iMakali'i
Makali'i

Us girls with Chadd Paishon.
Makali'iMakali'i
Makali'i

Mary working hard on helping tie the floor boards together.
Makali'iMakali'i
Makali'i

Saulina, Nia, Chadd, Tasha and Mary in front the Makali'i canoe.
Makali'iMakali'i
Makali'i

All of us at the beach, catching some waves.


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb