Hawaii - the Big Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Hilo
April 18th 2017
Published: April 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hilo
29th March Hilo

The Big Island, Hawaii - where there are two active volcanoes and Captain Cook was killed in Kealakekua Bay in 1779.



Other interesting facts about the island is that it has 13 major climatic zones from tropical rain forests to snow capped mountains and the ukulele is a favourite musical instrument (bizarre)!!!



Hilo is the capital and gateway to the Hawaiin Volcanoes National Park.

The park was created a World Heritage Site in 1987 and has two active volcanoes. Maunganui Loa (13677 ft) and Kilauea (4078 ft), the latter being the more active and volatile.

Kilauea has been erupting continuously since for the last 20 years and lava buried the village of Kalapana in 1990, the crater is called ' The House of Everlasting Fire'.



We took a Highlights tour to give us an overview of the Island The Queen Liliuokalani Gardens was our first stop, named in honour of Kalakauas sister, Hawaiis last sovereign.

This 30 acre Japanese garden was built in the 1990's and you can stroll through pagodas, ponds bridges and tropical vegetation.



The weather was warm and humid but with the threat of rain, which arrived as we headed out into the countryside to visit the Akaka falls.The tumble over 420 ft into a pool below, bit of a trek to get to with all the lush vegetation surrounding.



Then onto the Rainforest Zoo and Botanical Gardens, a walk round some lovely trees and shrubs which were all well signed.

The zoo was a bit of a mixture but it's a small island trying to cater to a growing tourist industry.



Our final stop was the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory.

For your one stop shop for everything Macadamia flavoured.



Enough said!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb