First night in RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Stone Mountain
August 16th 2013
Published: August 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

While I was at work yesterday Ken finished packing up. We gave our 'stuff' (furniture, dishes, etc.) to Christine's nephew (a friend from work). We were able to sell the TV. We did acquire too much in the last year. We will spend much of the weekend organizing and purging. I think we have 16 pillows between the RV and apartment. We had extras for guests in the RV and extras for guests in the apartment, besides the ones we bought for the apartment. Fortunately we haven't thrown anything away...always find someone to receive it. Just this morning Ken gave away two reclining lounge chairs that we had bought for our balcony at the apartment. He gave them to two tent campers at the campground. Neither one us were sad to say goodbye to the apartment. I guess that is a sign of true gypsies. Actually there were things that were not so pleasant about it: our unit was right next to the garbage shoot so every time, and I mean every time someone throws their garbage out, it sounds like a dead body has just been thrown down there. And since it is near the garbage shoot, guess what? the gondola that all of the garbage ends up in is directly under our balcony, so we only used our balcony a few times; the smells and flies were intolerable. Also, since Atlanta is an old town, I'm assuming that the sewer system is old too because every time we walked outside our apartment (except in cold weather) to venture out, the gas/sewer smells were horrible; I would gag. Now I don't want to concentrate on the bad because there were a lot of good things.

I loved living near Piedmont park-it was a 3 minute walk. It's 189 acres; has a lake, beautiful landscaping: trees, flowers. They have a Farmer's market every Saturday. We saw an outdoor concert: Sarah Evans. Ken would exercise there and volunteered there for a while. Lola and Bella loved the playgrounds. We took our Christmas pictures there. My friend Pati and I enjoyed walking through on her visit.

I loved walking to restaurants in Midtown: The Lure (my Favorite-went there with Pati during her visit), Oceanaire (stuffed ourselves here with deliciousness with Josh-remember the Key Lime pie?), TAP-our go to place when we didn't want to think about where to go-it was a block up the street we took Jason there when he visited). It was always crowded with locals stopping for a drink after work. Mi Cocina-a new Mexican restaurant up on Peachtree. It's a chain but had the best Mojitos and grilled Tilapia. Ri Ra Irish Pub (went here with the girls several times and also when Josh was here). Starbucks and Chick-fil-A were right around the corner.

When Ken was in Vegas for the month of June to spend time with Lola I walked to the Art Museum, which was 2 blocks away

One of our favorite places was Senoia, GA about 45 minutes south, a small town where The Walking Dead is filmed. Also-these movies were filmed there: Driving Miss Daisy, Fried Green Tomatoes, Sweet Home Alabama to name a few. The Senoia Coffee & Cafe has the best coffee, sandwiches, bread and pastries. Ken and I went there several times. When Pati visited we had lunch there and shopped the town. We bought rosemary/olive oil bread that went well with our Coq au vin that we made that weekend.

We also loved the proximetry to Destin, Florida. We fell in love with the sugar sand beaches and Stinky's restaurant. We visited three times, including Spring Break with Jason and Lola

Anyway, a lot more positives than negatives!

Ken met me at work and followed me to the airport to return my rental car. We headed towards Stone Mountain. We decided to eat dinner before going to the RV. We found a Roadhouse Steakhouse; not a lost of choices. We split a dinner: steak, green beans, baked potato and salad. We stopped at Starbucks and Publix: we needed coffee beans, water and milk.

We did the bare minimum to get organized: we made the bed, watched a little TV, read and went to bed. During the night, the air conditioner leaked water on our bed. We had this happen last year and had it repaired so we are not sure what it is. Ken is going to look at it when we get settled at Tallulah Falls.

We got up around 8:30! It's raining again. So much rain here in Georgia. We had coffee, OJ, me-my whole wheat blueberry waffles, Ken- whole wheat toast with strawberry preserves. Watched a little news, showered and secured 'stuff' and left the park around 11:30. The temperature has dropped-finally-it's 63, cloudy and drizzly.

We headed up 285N to 85N to 985N. We stopped at Jaemor Farms, a produce farm and roadside market nestled at the foot of the Northern Georgia mountains, family owned and operated for over 100 years. They have a corn maze, offer hayrides and farm tours. It's a beautiful place and they have weddings there. We bought Georgia peaches, corn, tomatoes, onions, blueberries, green beans, potatoes, homemade strawberry and blackberry jam. I haven't baked for a long, long time; with only the two of us, I avoid it. But I am going to have to make a peach pie and maybe some blueberry muffins. This cooler weather makes me want to bake.

On the way out we stopped at their BBQ shack and picked up a "lite" lunch (ha, ha): shredded pork with BBQ sauce, cole slaw and potato salad...so good. It was so chilly, we ate in the truck.

On our way to Tallulah Falls, NC-our home for the. Next 10 days. The sun is peaking through-up to 71 degrees.

Advertisement



16th August 2013

I'd love to visit Georgia, maybe get stationed there someday. Your new adventure sounds fun. I've got the baking bug too. Maybe you should make a peach blueberry crumble :)
16th August 2013

Peach-blueberry crumble
Sounds good Emily! I think I will!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb