McIntosh Sugar Mill Tabby Ruins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » St. Marys
January 13th 2011
Published: January 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

McIntosh Sugar Mill Tabby Ruins


Over the holidays we went to stay with family in Georgia. It was so nice to get away for a solid week (rare with work & school schedules). While there, we went on a little excursion with two of my siblings to the Tabby Ruins, the former site of a sugar mill built in 1825. Though little but the walls remain, it is the largest and best preserved of all tabby remains in the Southeast part of the United States.

'Tabby' is the nickname of the material used to build the mill- a mixture of oyster shells, sand and water. It has been in a state of ruin since a fire there in the mid-1800's. The weather was a little nippy, but the sun shone so we enjoyed our brief exploration. Everyone but me ended up fleeing the scene after a tick sighting, Damon leading the way with the baby. I relented and joined them and we went home to curl up and watch a movie. I would have liked to stay a little longer, but there is always next time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th April 2011

Wow, you are a busy lady! Loved seeing these pics as much of my traveling is in my dreams. If we make it over the that part of Georgia again we'll be sure to visit these ruins. My husband is a McIntosh descendent.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb