Savannah, Georgia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
May 9th 2023
Published: May 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Strolling Savannah streetsStrolling Savannah streetsStrolling Savannah streets

We walked throughout the historic district of Savannah. The live oak trees draped in Spanish moss are throughout the city. Also, there are lovely city parks, squares every few blocks. There were often people sitting on the benches in the parks reading, enjoying a cup of coffee, or walking their dogs.
We enjoyed 3 days in historic Savannah. Located along the Savannah River it is the largest port in Georgia. This charming southern city offers art, architecture, delicious cuisine, trendy boutiques, haunted stories, and lush greenspaces all under a veil of Spanish moss. We parked the Jeep and walked all over the city, strolling through many of the neighborhood squares. We jumped back in Mazie and headed to Bonaventure Cemetery. This is a rural cemetery on a bluff of the Wilmington River, east of Savannah. It is the largest of the city's municipal cemeteries, containing nearly 160 acres. Last we headed to Wormsloe Historic Site. The oak avenue of the property is lined with over 400 live oaks and is often photographed and included in motion pictures. We enjoyed the history museum in the visitor center and the tabby ruins trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Monterey SquareMonterey Square
Monterey Square

The monument was erected for Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski, a Polish patriot that was mortally wounded in Savannah during an assault by the French and American forces on the British lines. He was a Brigadier General Pulaski in the Continental Army and was admired for his role in the development of the calvary.
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

On approximately 30 acres this is Savannah's largest and oldest public park.
Forsyth FountainForsyth Fountain
Forsyth Fountain

A beautiful fountain in the center of the park!
Major General Lafayette McLawsMajor General Lafayette McLaws
Major General Lafayette McLaws

Lafayette McLaws (January 15, 1821 – July 24, 1897) was a United States Army officer and a Confederate general in the American Civil War. He served at Antietam and Fredericksburg, where Robert E. Lee praised his defense of Marye's Heights, and at Gettysburg.
Savannah architectureSavannah architecture
Savannah architecture

Most of the squares are surrounded by beautiful homes and buildings.
James Edward OgelthorpeJames Edward Ogelthorpe
James Edward Ogelthorpe

Oglethorpe was a soldier, philanthropist and founded the colony of Georgia.
Catholic Cathedral Basilica of St John the Baptis. Catholic Cathedral Basilica of St John the Baptis.
Catholic Cathedral Basilica of St John the Baptis.

This French Gothic style Cathedral was dedicated on April 30, 1876. A fire destroyed all but the exterior walls and 2 spires on February 6, 1898. The rebuilding began immediately and on October 28, 1900 the rebuilt Cathedral was dedicated.
Catholic Cathedral SanctuaryCatholic Cathedral Sanctuary
Catholic Cathedral Sanctuary

Words cannot describe.
Organ in the balcony Organ in the balcony
Organ in the balcony

We did not get to hear the organ, but the balcony is beautiful!
Colonial ParkColonial Park
Colonial Park

This cemetery was the burying ground for the city of Savannah from 1750 until it was closed for burials in 1852. The cemetery became a city park in 1896.
Leopold's Ice CreamLeopold's Ice Cream
Leopold's Ice Cream

A very cute ice cream shop with unique flavors.
Ice creamIce cream
Ice cream

Lois had lavender and almond honey cream. Mike enjoyed 2 scoops of caramel swirl. All were delicious and so creamy!
Bonaventure CemeteryBonaventure Cemetery
Bonaventure Cemetery

Originally called Evergreen Cemetery and established on 70 acres of the Bonaventure Plantation as a private commercial enterprise in 1846. It was designed as a traditional Victorian cemetery with curing paths, lots of trees, and grassy areas. It was purchased in 1907 by the city of Savannah to become the fourth of the cities five cemeteries. The grounds were also increased to about 103 acres.
Little Gracie WatsonLittle Gracie Watson
Little Gracie Watson

She was an only child and died at 6 from pneumonia. Her dad was the manager of a leading hotel, the Pulaski House. A rising sculptor, John Walz carved this life-sized statue of Gracie from a photograph.
Grave Headstones and statuesGrave Headstones and statues
Grave Headstones and statues

The cemetery had over 100 acres full of beauty and history. Some of the headstones and grave statues were unlike anything we have seen in other cemeteries.
Celtic CrossCeltic Cross
Celtic Cross

One of many crosses used as gravestones at Bonaventure Cemetery. Beautiful!
Wormsloe Oak AvenueWormsloe Oak Avenue
Wormsloe Oak Avenue

There are over 400 live oak trees along the entry way to Wormsloe. It is one of the most photographed streets in America.
Wormsloe 5 trees in 1Wormsloe 5 trees in 1
Wormsloe 5 trees in 1

We called this the 5 sisters. it seemed to be a single tree, but with 5 arms coming up from near the ground. Very unique.
Wormsloe Coquina stone wallWormsloe Coquina stone wall
Wormsloe Coquina stone wall

You can see the shells that help create this stone wall. The wall surrounded the home to provide a defense against attack.
Wormsloe Salt MarshWormsloe Salt Marsh
Wormsloe Salt Marsh

The coastal wetlands in the area have green or gold grasses like black rush and cordgrass. Many species of fish and shellfish spend at least part of their life cycles in this very productive habitat.
Wormsloe Tropical FoliageWormsloe Tropical Foliage
Wormsloe Tropical Foliage

The plants and trees were dense on the plantation property.
Sunset at Creek Fire RV ParkSunset at Creek Fire RV Park
Sunset at Creek Fire RV Park

Beautiful sunset, loved the clouds.
Lazy riverLazy river
Lazy river

The RV park had a nice lazy river. Lots of seating around it and some umbrellas for shade.
PoolPool
Pool

Pool and splash pad at the park as well.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb