Introduction to Saint Simons Island


Advertisement
Published: December 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

In our annual February escape from the Frigid North, Margo and I discovered a laid-back and genteel southern paradise … Saint Simons Island, GA. One of four barrier islands located mid-way down Georgia’s coast, and separated from the mainland by extensive salt marshes, it is about 4 miles (7 km) wide and 14 miles (23km) long. It features houses, condos, a small airport, miles of beaches, a village with exclusive shops, galleries and restaurants, historic sites galore and the whole gamut of churches. A white sand beach stretches for miles along the east side of the island: dogs are allowed on leashes except from Memorial Day to Labour Day.

Not a “tourist trap”, Saint Simons is home to about 15,000 retirees, intellectuals, professionals and relatively affluent people, as shown by some very upscale homes. For visitors there are several good hotels, and dozens of condos and cottages available for rent by the week, month, or season. As a bonus, the residents display traditional Southern friendliness.

If you are interested in visiting, I would strongly recommend that you obtain the excellent 80-page “Brunswick and Golden Isles of Georgia Visitors Guide” available by mail from the Convention and Visitors Bureau site at www.ComeCoastAwhile.com .

This article and those that follow will tell you about this destination which may well offer everything you or any Snowbird could ask for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb