The Palm Springs Air Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Palm Springs
November 28th 2014
Published: November 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Perhaps the most interesting and enlightening destination in Palm Springs is the Air Museum, a real gem dedicated to the restoration, preservation, presentation and operation of some of America’s most significant military aircraft from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. The result is a really fine collection of more than thirty aircraft from those conflicts, many still flyable and some being restored. It’s a non-profit institution which also has static displays, a research library, theatre, and education center, all with the aim of educating the public about the role played by Air Power in maintaining freedom. It provides a unique opportunity to view close up some of the actual legendary aircraft that participated in the European and Pacific campaigns, while learning about the deeds of their crews and their leaders. Detailed information plaques about their capabilities and exploits are provided.

It’s a refreshingly compact, wheelchair accessible and people-oriented place which harbors a wealth of information about air power and how it turned the tide in those terrible wars. Volunteer docents, many of them enthusiastic retired military aircrew, are everywhere to answer your questions. I consider it a “must” for any visitor to Palm Springs. For complete information visit http://palmspringsairmuseum.org/ .

For details about any of the aircraft shown, just Google them by name.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



28th November 2014

Awesome pieces! The air-crafts are in excellent condition and the designs are really attractive too! Nice shots of the planes in action, those must have been hard to get given their speed. Thanks for this!

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb