Summer activities in May


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
May 4th 2009
Published: November 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ted WinsTed WinsTed Wins

Ted won his competition in the school Olympics on May 5th. He loves to run.
After returning from Disney World, we had a very active month of May.

The month started with the end-of-the-year school activities. We visited Ted’s school and later we attended Emmy’s fifth grade promotion at Lakeview. We also attended Hannah’s dance recital at Dunwoody Baptist Church.

I also got a chance to attend an interesting event in Fayetteville, Georgia for the unveiling of a plaque recognizing the historical significance of the Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House. My great-great grandfather was born and raised in this house. The famous ‘Doc Holliday’ also had a connection with this house with some of his relatives living there for a while. Doc was said to have visited there many times.

We did one road trip this month with a drive to Birmingham for a visit with John and Carla Maguire. Jack and Marion McKee joined us there. It was a great reunion of friends from our Four Winds neighborhood and ended with plans to meet again in the fall at a casino in Mississippi.

After this trip it was time to open the pool at our condo. We had a great party which was well attended by our new friends here. We had added pool
Ted WinsTed WinsTed Wins

Here Ted gets his medal for winning his race.
heaters to make the water warm enough to swim. Last year it was impossible most of the year.

One highlight of the month was a fishing day with Jack. We went up to the Stephens farm in Lula and did some target practice and then fishing in the lake. We had a great day catching many bream and bass. The lake is full. Both of us can't wait to get back.

The day after fishing with Jack, I did a Girl's Day in North Georgia. I took four of our granddaughters to Helen to tube down the river and do the water park. It was great.

On May 31st, we attended Claire’s pool party for her eighth birthday. It was great fun. The kids had a ball. I shared lifeguard duties with Mitch. Jennifer’s pool is wonderful and just right for this type event.



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ted in School ProgramTed in School Program
Ted in School Program

Each year there is a class performance at Ted's school. This one was on May 7th.
Dunwoody Baptist Dance ConcertDunwoody Baptist Dance Concert
Dunwoody Baptist Dance Concert

Hannah shows her stuff in beautiful outfits and dance steps on May 9th.
Dunwoody Baptist Dance ConcertDunwoody Baptist Dance Concert
Dunwoody Baptist Dance Concert

Hannah dancing in the rain.
Dunwoody Baptist Dance ConcertDunwoody Baptist Dance Concert
Dunwoody Baptist Dance Concert

Hannah with Marmee and Papa.
Dunwoody Baptist Dance ConcertDunwoody Baptist Dance Concert
Dunwoody Baptist Dance Concert

Melissa and Derek are proud parents with dancer, Hannah Jane Hummel.
Heritage Park in Sandy SpringsHeritage Park in Sandy Springs
Heritage Park in Sandy Springs

During the Summer, concerts are held in the park. This was on Sunday, May 10th. Larry and Gail joined me and Jackie. Gail's friend, Dianne Honey, was a common attendee with us.
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife HouseHolliday-Dorsey-Fife House
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House

Fayetteville, Georgia.
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife HouseHolliday-Dorsey-Fife House
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House

On May 16th, I drove down to attend the unveiling of a plaque related to the Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House in Fayetteville.
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife HouseHolliday-Dorsey-Fife House
Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House

I am joined by Jimmy and daughter, Eve in front of the plaque. Also in the photo are descendents of the Hollidays.
Fayetteville CemetaryFayetteville Cemetary
Fayetteville Cemetary

Here are the graves of Solomon Dorsey and other Dorseys. Solomon was Ben Hill's father, and Louie's grandfather.
Fayetteville CemetaryFayetteville Cemetary
Fayetteville Cemetary

Here's the grave stone of SD Dorsey. He was 35 when the Civil War started. He served in the 7th Georgia Infantry of the Confederate Army.
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade PromotionLakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion

We attended the ceremony where Emmy was promoted to the next level.
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade PromotionLakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion

Grace was allowed to visit with her grandparents.
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade PromotionLakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion

Christi was still teaching at Laveview. She and Claire came over to see us.
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade PromotionLakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion
Lakeview Academy Fifth Grade Promotion

Emmy was awarded a certificate for great performance.
Birmingham Road TripBirmingham Road Trip
Birmingham Road Trip

Tom and John at dinner at "The Club" in Birmingham on May 23rd.
Birmingham Road TripBirmingham Road Trip
Birmingham Road Trip

Here is John, daughter Shelly, and Carla Maguire. Our long term friends from our first neighborhood, Four Winds.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb