Raynham to the St. Lucie, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 5th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Raynham New Year's DayLeaving Raynham New Year's DayLeaving Raynham New Year's Day

Temperature was 4 degrees when we left at 6 am. We had over a foot of snow the day before. We are thinking of leaving before December next year.
Dave and I left Raynham on New Year's Day. The temperature was 4 degrees and lots of snow lay all around our Fifth Wheel. There were no teary eyes as we headed south out of Dodge and into warmer weather. We spent our first 2 nights out at my daughter and son-in-law's house in Maryland. Spending time with our three granddaughters there was exciting and entertaining as always.

Leaving Saturday morning and driving into the early evening, we found ourselves in 60 degree weather at supper time, where we put up for the night in the Georgia Welcome Center. By noon the next day, we were in Florida and wonderfully warm weather. We spent Sunday and Monday nights at a Martin County Park, Phipps Park at the St. Lucie Locks. The park is located next to the Army Corp of Engineers Park.

The locks are on the Intra-Coastal Waterway which connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico through Lake Okeechobee. We had never seen the locks operated so up close and personal and it was very interesting to see.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Anna Catherine - Age 16 MonthsAnna Catherine - Age 16 Months
Anna Catherine - Age 16 Months

This is our youngest of 10 grandchildren. She knows she is not suppose to be climbing on the furniture.
Rachel Marie - Age Almost 7Rachel Marie - Age Almost 7
Rachel Marie - Age Almost 7

My little Maryland Princesses.
Reneee Nicole - Age 4Reneee Nicole - Age 4
Reneee Nicole - Age 4

My little Maryland Princesses
Intra-Coastal WaterwayIntra-Coastal Waterway
Intra-Coastal Waterway

This water way cuts across the middle of Florida, from the Atlantic to the Pacific by means of locks. We stayed right next to St. Lucie Locks which is operated by the Army Corp of Engineers.
Our site at Phipps ParkOur site at Phipps Park
Our site at Phipps Park

We found this Martin County campground which is located right next to the beautiful St. Lucie Locks Federal Park.
Sailboats getting ready to go through the locksSailboats getting ready to go through the locks
Sailboats getting ready to go through the locks

We watched these two boats travel into the lock.
The Sailboats in the LocksThe Sailboats in the Locks
The Sailboats in the Locks

After the sailboats enter the locks, the gate is shut and then the water is slowly drained from the other end to bring the boats down to the water level of the river.
Dave watching the level slowly draining.  Dave watching the level slowly draining.
Dave watching the level slowly draining.

It takes about 15 minutes for the engineers to drain the lock and completely open the gate and let the boats go on their way.
Campsite at Phipps ParkCampsite at Phipps Park
Campsite at Phipps Park

Notice our kayak out over the front of the truck.


21st January 2009

A sight you will only find in Raynham. A foot of snow surrounding a truck with not just a camper attached but also a kayack. Usually it's skiis you see this time of year. Only in New Engalnd I guess! He! He! He!

Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.2311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb