Kissimmee, Florida - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
May 25th 2002
Published: December 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

KissimmeeKissimmeeKissimmee

Kissimmee, Florida - United States of America

May 25, 2002









*City official name :Kissimmee
*Founded date :
*Location :Florida State
*Elavation :? ft (? m)
*Area :Approximately ? square miles (? kmĀ²).
*Facts :Kissimmee is a city in Osceola County, Florida, United States. The population was 47,814 at the 2000 census. As of 2005, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 59,364. It is the county seat of Osceola CountyGR6. The Houston Astros conduct spring training here.

Kissimmee, on the northwest shore of Lake Tohopekaliga (locally called "Lake Toho", "West Lake Toho" or simply "West Lake") was founded in the mid-19th Century as Allendale. The name was changed when the city was incorporated in 1883.

After the opening of nearby Walt Disney World in 1971, Kissimmee and its neighboring city of Saint Cloud began to experience rapid growth which continues to this day.

Cattle ranching was an important part of the local economy for a century or so before the opening of Walt Disney World. After that, tourism and development supplanted cattle ranching to a large measure; however, cattle ranches still remain nearby, particularly in the southern part of Osceola County.

On August 13, 2004,
KissimmeeKissimmeeKissimmee

Kissimmee, Florida - United States of America
Hurricane Charley stormed through Kissimmee bringing damaging winds in excess of 100 miles per hour. The hurricane left behind hundreds of damaged homes and buildings, downed trees and 100 percent of the residents without power. Fifty-four percent of the residents had power restored in the first 72 hours; 85 percent were restored within one week. Service was restored to all customers on August 28. Three weeks after Hurricane Charley struck, the area was ravaged by Hurricane Frances; and three weeks after Frances, Hurricane Jeanne.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

KissimmeeKissimmee
Kissimmee

Kissimmee, Florida - United States of America
KissimmeeKissimmee
Kissimmee

Kissimmee, Florida - United States of America


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb