First Week Back in Florida!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Vero Beach
April 25th 2017
Published: April 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

PoolsidePoolsidePoolside

the pool at the Vero Beach Loggerhead Marina
Well, we have been back in the United States for a week already, and once again I am shocked at how quickly time passes! After a number of days readjusting, restocking and refreshing (takes some time to catch up after a long crossing!) we have begun our slow, lackadaisical journey north.

To be honest, the first few days were a bit overwhelming. After months in the relaxed, laid back framework of the islands, Florida seems like a buzzing beehive. Compared to the humble, sporadic infrastructure we have grown accustomed to, coming into the harbor at Lake Worth in Florida was a little surreal. The materialistic opulence, the fancy yachts, high-rises, elaborate condos and palatial homes, all packed tightly together, made me almost a little claustrophobic at first. However, there are definitely some advantages to being back in the States as well; and rather than look back with longing for where we have been, we continue to look forward with optimism and anticipation to a new leg of our voyage.

One of our first tasks upon arriving in the US was to clear customs and immigration. What a way to immerse yourself back into American society!! After calling in to
Lake Worth SkylineLake Worth SkylineLake Worth Skyline

Our first view of land coming back to the United States...what are those tall things sticking up?? Haven't seen a high rise in months!
announce our arrival, we were instructed to present ourselves in person at a local border control office…along with a whole boat load of others (pun intended – ha ha!). Because the day we left Bimini was the first good weather window in over a week, we ended up crossing from the Bahamas at the same time as a large group of boaters. Which meant we all arrived in the same area around the same time. Which meant the border control office was packed! Which meant a long process!

But in the end, there were no hassles, just lots of waiting. But with some patience, we were finally “allowed” back in the country (I know, a little shocking…they let us in!!), and given a 3-month cruising permit for American waters. From some of the stories we heard later, we were very fortunate; a few people were given a much harder time. Having faith that all will work out always seems to equal to everything working out!

That evening, we enjoyed yet another fabulous dinner of steak, lobster, garlic bread and potatoes on board Alexis (who had crossed from Bimini with us). We feel as we have been adopted as “family” by Deb and John; they are so hospitable and always make sure we are well fed! After dinner, we made plans to travel north with them to Vero Beach the following day.

Vero Beach is “home-base” to a number of boaters that we met in George Town, including Bob and Deb on Melanie Bear (Port Dover, ON), and Barb and Sherman on Jenneka Ann (Digby, NS). Both couples spend a month or two at the Loggerhead Marina before and after going to the Bahamas, then leave the boat there for the summer and drive home. After having been separated for a few weeks, we were eager to be reunited and hear about each other’s adventures getting back to Florida. They also offered to drive us around wherever we needed to get stocked up. And with John and Deb also heading to the same marina, it was all too enticing. So, we decided to head into the marina for a couple nights.

Our days in Vero Beach were busy, but full of fun. The first day, we took time to do laundry (clean sheets!! How glorious!!), swim, relax by the pool and reconnect with friends. I have not been swimming since we arrived back in the states; it has been too cold and the water too brackish. I know, I have been spoiled the last few months! It is hard to believe I was readily jumping into this water last December, now that I have experienced months of clear, warm seas. But I am sure after a few days without a shower, I will get to the point it won’t seem so bad again!

Sunday was a very productive and fulfilling day. Bob offered to take John, Deb, Lukus and I to the Publix grocery store in his truck. I think we spent almost 2 hours in that store! It was incredibly astonishing to walk into such a cornucopia of food. After months of limited supplies and high prices, it was like being let loose in gourmet heaven. I think the produce section was almost the same size as the entire grocery store in George Town!! I have always heard it is a bad idea to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach…well, I will tell you that is doubly true if you have been away in the islands for months! It was hard to know when to stop putting stuff in the cart (ok, I admit, we had to stop when our cart was loaded to overflowing – ha ha). But it reminded me once again, how much I took for granted the opulent extravagance of availability we have in North America.

Later, we went to the liquor store (more provisioning), and then spent most of the afternoon on the boat, emptying garbage, reorganizing stores and stocking our stash; a lot more time consuming than it sounds. Unloading and putting away groceries is not quite so simple on a boat; it means crawling into cubby holes and contorting your body into odd positions to pack cans and packages into obscure corners of the bilge. But at least you feel like you have had a good workout by the end, and your body stays limber!

That evening, as an informal “farewell” in anticipation of our departure the next day, Deb (Melanie Bear) and Barb (Jenneka Ann) prepared a scrumptious feast of Lobster Mac and Cheese, featuring lobster caught by Bob and Sherman in the Bahamas. We all gathered in the marina lounge, toasted each other and our new friendships with champagne, and gorged ourselves on pasta, bread, salad, and pie. Afterwards, the gang taught us a rousing game called Left, Right, Centre, while laughter and hollers echoed through the room. It was a magical evening; a great way to say, not goodbye, but “see you later”; because we will all meet again!

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go for a lovely run and enjoy the scenic ambiance of the neighbourhood. The Loggerhead Marina is located in a gated community in Vero Beach, and there are idyllic paths canopied by sweeping palms and trees that wind among homes, beautiful landscaping, and well manicured golf courses. The sun was bright, the air carried a soft blanket of humidity while a light breeze tempered the heat of the morning. Sustenance for the soul and spirit.

Then, before leaving the marina, we filled our water tank, had a shower (probably our last “real” shower for a while again), fueled up, and pumped out. Fully stocked and loaded, we enjoyed a few final hugs and farewells, and then headed out to anchor near Hole in the Wall island, a mere 2 miles upriver. After the hubbub and activity of being “on land”, our afternoon was spent enjoying
Good Food, Great FriendsGood Food, Great FriendsGood Food, Great Friends

Our "farewell" dinner. What a wonderful group of friends!
the peacefulness of being on anchor among the mangroves.

Today, we pulled anchor and are headed to Titusville, Florida. After months of traveling on open waters, it is a refreshing change to be traveling on the Intercostal Waterway again. While the waterway is crowded and we have to watch for more traffic, it is nice not to have to worry about winds and waves. The ICW is pretty easy cruising compared to some of the passages we have had in the Bahamas. It makes for some more relaxed travel days.

The ICW like being on a river, which brings along with it some interesting scenery. As I work at my computer, I look out the window and see mangroves, wildlife, boats and into the backyards of homes edging the water. A big change from water, water, water!

As we move north, I have already noticed a change in the vegetation. Sadly, it has become less tropical, with fewer palms trees (a true sign we are going north!!). But now there is a lushness to the greenery blanketing the shores. The fullness invades the spaces between the homes and buildings, making it seem less “urbanised” and structural. We have spotted dolphins, cranes and egrets as we travel again, and the dive bombing pelicans are back to entertain me!

Last night, we once again had to revel in gratefulness for the life we are leading. It occurred to me the other day, how transient our life is. Often, we don’t spend more than a day or two in one spot. Most days are spent on the move, going from one new place to another. Which means we are constantly having to learn the “lay of the land” wherever we end up; where things are and how things are done. I know for some, a normal routine, structure, some predictability provides comfort and gratification. Not everyone enjoys the uncertainty and spontaneity of constant change. But this lifestyle seems to suits us well. Each day brings new sights, experiences and characters.

On the other hand, we are also beginning to look forward to being back in Port Dover. We are excited to see how our experiences will feed into life back home, how they will enrich the next chapter of our lives. We have realized that even if we are in one place spatially, it does not mean that life stops being exciting and adventurous. It all relies on perspective. If you are aware, if you are looking, there are miraculous occurrences around you every day. Life is happening. You are discovering. Adventures are waiting. And, the journey continues.



Abigail out.

Advertisement



26th April 2017

The journey continues ...
I continue to enjoy all these blog posts Emy! What a wonderful adventure you guys are on. Savour every moment of it! Safe journey as you head northwards. Hopefully it will warm up in Canada by the time you arrive! xo :)

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb