Getting set to go


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

I have struggled this year to come up with a theme for this road trip. We have been just about everywhere and done just about everything we might have any interest in doing on a road trip…from the vineyards to the national parks, from the mountains to the valleys, from the rivers to the oceans. It is getting harder every year to come up with something new and unique. So, considering that wherever we go, it will likely be somewhere we have already been, we decided to call it “A Trip Down Memory Lane”. Perhaps my ever-aging eyes and my well-traveled mind will see things differently this time around and make it all new again. We shall see.

This year we begin with the road trip west, unlike earlier trips when we began by spending a good deal of time visiting friends and family up the east coast and into Canada. So we will point the car west and, with Satellite Beach in our rear view mirror, we will set off for the unexpected, hoping that we will have new experiences, see more of the beauty of this great country, enjoy each other’s company (which is a requirement when you are sitting side-by-side in a car for many hours a day, day after day) and I pray that we return alive and well, in good spirits and with new memories to cherish.

It is now the night before we leave and a wrench has been served up. There is a hurricane brewing in the Gulf and it is headed for the coast of Louisiana and creating a LOT of rain all along our proposed route for tomorrow. The current prediction is that it is headed for Beaumont, TX, which is our second stop, on Friday night. The cone of uncertainty right now shows it will hit Beaumont head on Saturday afternoon. Of course that could change, as we all know. So what do we do? We are going to try and out-run the darned thing. We will leave as scheduled in the morning and head for Pensacola and hope for the best. If things get too riled up, we will point the car north and I will have a lot of fun that evening moving the 9 hotel reservations we have already made, off to a later date. Oh, well. You can’t fight Mother Nature. Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Advertisement



10th July 2019

Best of luck
Sending good wishes and luck your way.
11th July 2019

Hurricane
“You can dance in a hurricane, but only if you’re standing in the eye” - Brandi Carlile.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb