Sights around St Augustine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Saint Augustine
January 11th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Black RavenThe Black RavenThe Black Raven

This boat gives scenic cruises
We arrived in St. Augustine on January 9th, which was two days earlier than planned as we were kicked out of McKinley campground in Georgia due to the approaching blizzard. It made for a few mail hassles as our forwarded mail arrived late in both places that we listed and I have to thank Bob’s daughter April and my sister in law and friend Kelly for forwarding these packages onward. I will list our daytrips separately but this entry is for several of the sights around St. Augustine. This is the oldest city in the United States and has served no fewer than five different flags. It was established by the Spanish but was also lived in by the French and the British and the architecture reflects this. It is right by the Mantanzas River and was important because of this. I have included pictures of our RV Park, which wasn’t large or fancy but was the closest to Kelly and with Passport America was only $15 a night. St John’s RV Park is right behind the flea market and there are some pictures from there. There are also pictures from shopping in the historic district near St George Street and lastly from the night of lights which runs from December through the end of January. Kelly and her daughter Amber recommended this to us and it was as beautiful as they told us.





Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

St Johns RV Park 2St Johns RV Park 2
St Johns RV Park 2

view of the flea market in the distance
flea market 3flea market 3
flea market 3

Proof that you can get anything at the flea market
flea market 4flea market 4
flea market 4

just thought that this door looked pretty cool
flea market 5flea market 5
flea market 5

the resident robot that rolls around the grounds with information
window shopping 1window shopping 1
window shopping 1

For anyone that has the chance to visit St Augustine make sure that you save a day for window shopping as it is far more interesting than the malls.
window shopping 2window shopping 2
window shopping 2

The St George St historic area is filled with shops and the old narrow streets are pedestrian only.
window shopping 3window shopping 3
window shopping 3

although I don't have a picture of it one of my favorite stores in this district is Bath Junkie where you can customize shower gels, body scrubs and lotions with whatever combination of scents that you choose making it truly one of a kind....and the lotion is nice and silky feeling.
The Castillo San MarcoThe Castillo San Marco
The Castillo San Marco

This fort is by the Mantanzas River and holds the distinction of being under 5 flags but never being captured ....every time it changed hands it was by treaty.
Horse and driverHorse and driver
Horse and driver

This man was giving his horse a drink while he waited for someone to hire out his carriage...there were three carriages in a row and all were decorated differently.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb