Saint Augustine


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Castillo de San MarcosCastillo de San MarcosCastillo de San Marcos

Built in the 17th Century. The moat is now grass.
On my way up the coast to St. Augustine, I stopped in to visit a friend in Titusville. We had a lovely lunch of rock shrimp, which look and taste like tiny lobsters. Very tasty. Titusville is on the Florida Space Coast and Cape Kennedy is just across the bay.
Bobby’s parents, Jeanie and Bob, have always told me that I would love Saint Augustine and they are right. Saint Augustine renewed my faith that Florida does indeed have a future!
In 1513 Juan Ponce de Leon arrived in Florida from Puerto Rica (known then as San Juan,) and claimed Florida for Spain. He arrived in St. Augustine during the Easter season when all the flowers were in bloom so he called the new land La Florida. St. Augustine is the oldest settled colony in the United States. There were of course, Native Americans there for a long time before the Europeans but the Spanish expeditions of the New World really were dominant in the 16th Century. Spanish exploration of the Americas discovered gold and silver in Mexico and Peru, the treasure was sent back to Spain in ships sailing in the Gulf Stream. Spanish settlements needed to be built in
CastilloCastilloCastillo

The Castillo was built of coquina which is a locally quarried soft shellrock. It is apparently becomes very hard
Florida to protect the Spanish fleet. The original fort, San Juan De Aviles was built in 1565 but destroyed by those pesky English led by Sir Francis Drake in 1586. Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales celebrated the first Mass in St. Augustine on September 8th, 1565. The Nobre De Dios Mission was built, and was serving Spanish settlers and Native Americans by 1615. The original mission building is long gone, forgotten hurricanes, and struggles to dominate Florida by pirates, the Spanish, French, and those pesky English, took their toll. Construction of a more substantial fort was begun in 1672, it took 23 years to complete, and was named the Castillo de San Marcos. In 1702 English troops from South Carolina invaded St. Augustine and the fifteen hundred Spanish settlers retreated to the Castillo refused to surrender. England finally defeated Spain in the Seven Years War and Florida was transferred to English control in 1763. In the years following the Florida peninsula was tossed around between England and France until 1821 when the United States took over. Florida became the 27th state of the Union in 1845.
.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Cannon Ball HeaterCannon Ball Heater
Cannon Ball Heater

They used this structure to heat the cannon balls so they would set the wooden ships on fire when they hit!
Misssion Nombre de DiosMisssion Nombre de Dios
Misssion Nombre de Dios

It was so peaceful here.
GravestoneGravestone
Gravestone

I saw this gravestone in the grounds around the Mission. There were apparently a number of Irish immigrants that settled with the Spaniards here.
Original CannonOriginal Cannon
Original Cannon

There is a lot of arheological excavation going on around St. Augustine. This cannon was found close to where the original fort had been established.
Tucumcari IndiansTucumcari Indians
Tucumcari Indians

Around the grounds of the old fort docents dress in period. The Tucumcari Indians lived here for centuries before the French and Spanish came to this part of the world.
PiratePirate
Pirate

This Pirate was making cannonballs to load in one of the working cannons there.
PeacockPeacock
Peacock

This beautiful white peacock was strolling the grounds. It doesn't seem like the peahens were as interested as I was
Old City GatesOld City Gates
Old City Gates

The gates of Saint Augustine are also made from the coquina which was easily shaped. This is the entrance to St. George Street
St. George StreetSt. George Street
St. George Street

Several of the buildings in this street are originals that have been restored, some others have been reconstructed to look like the originals. Today almost all of the buildings are home to speciality items or are restaurants.
IrishmanIrishman
Irishman

This old Irishman was singing his heart out -- Molly Malone, Cockles and Mussles, etc. I thought picture of the old and the new age (the guy on the right) was funny.
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

The Cathedral Basilica is an anchor of the original Plaza.
Anglican ChurchAnglican Church
Anglican Church

The Church of England was established in Florida during the British occupation (176-1783.) The corner stone of Trinity Episcopal Church was laid in June of 1825.
Flagler Flagler
Flagler

I first heard the name"Flagler" when I was in the Keys. Henry Flagler established the railroad that ran to Key West. He was very prominent in Saint Augustine. He built this building in the 1880's as the Alcazar Hotel.
World Golf Hall of FameWorld Golf Hall of Fame
World Golf Hall of Fame

I was so impressed with this little township.
FlagsFlags
Flags

The lake in front of the Hall is surrounded by flags with names of all of the inductees to the Hall of Fame
PaversPavers
Pavers

There are also some paving stones with Hall of Fame golfers signatures. Had to have a photo of this one.
Old TomOld Tom
Old Tom

Several bronzes were around the Hall of Fame building.
BeachesBeaches
Beaches

Saint Augustine has miles of beautiful white sand beaches AND they allow dogs. Ike was like a little kid playing in the waves. He wasn't sure he liked it when a big one came and dowsed him.


16th April 2010

Hey Traveller!
Thanks for your continued newsy blogs, Lynn St Augustine looks like it will be a destination sometime soon! I love the idea of clean beaches where dogs are still allowed! Bron and Sheba have never been in the ocean...only our local lakes and they love those! Tons of love to you and little Ike - I laughed at his pic in the waves - poor Baby!
23rd April 2010

I love that you loved Saint Augustine - you brought it to life for me again! - great pictures

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb