Florida with the kids


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange Park
June 24th 2014
Published: April 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


"Busy" road to Florida"Busy" road to Florida"Busy" road to Florida

We tend to drive state routes and US highways instead of Interstates whenever possible. This open highway is restful, relaxing and almost as fast as I-75, but with minimal truck traffic and fewer crazy drivers. We also find cheaper gas and better spots to eat on these roads.
YIKES!! THIS IS ALMOST TWO YEARS OLD. SOMEHOW NEVER GOT TO ADDING TO IT, BUT IT'S THE PICTURES THAT ARE PRICELESS. NARRATIVE IS OBVIOUSLY SHORTENED SINCE IT HAPPENED SO LONG AGO AND MY MEMORY HAS GOTTEN SHORTER.

Kim was finally going to take time off to go visit her brother (and more important, her nephews) in Florida. So we thought we'd drive down and join her and have some good family time. We'd take 2 days down and relax, plus it would give Kim time alone with the little ones. One of the highlights was Drew getting his new karate belt. (Since then he has dropped karate in favor of first flag football and now soccer.) Xander was very impressed and wanted to join him, and when he couldn't, got upset.

As usual, we went out to eat with the kids (and amazingly, no pictures from that) and went to the local pool to swim. Kim could only stay a short while, but during her visit, she got in plenty of hugs and games with the boys.

When we left them, we drove back to north of Columbus, GA and spent a couple of days at a Corps
Drew suiting up for his karate testDrew suiting up for his karate testDrew suiting up for his karate test

Jen is making sure the belt is tight and wrapped twice around. Following a pro forma test consisting of reviewing all the moves they had learned, Drew was promoted from white to orange belt.
of Engineer campground. It was lovely and quiet and lots of trees. (We went back the next year, a previous blog documents that, and really relaxed and enjoyed.)

So what else did we do?? After 2 years, I don't recall, other than enjoyed the kids (all 3) and grandkids (both), but then, that is what being retired and grandparents is all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

At attentionAt attention
At attention

Drew, though young, took commands well and followed the instructor's direction. He was one of the few to stay focused the entire 20 minutes.
Looks tough, but...Looks tough, but...
Looks tough, but...

Showing his ability to use both hands in sequence, he did NOT hit as hard as he should. He later complained to his mother that he didn't like hitting for the girl instructor. Nope, not chivalrous, felt it was beneath him to hit for a girl. Him Momma had a talk with him about THAT!
Watching the actionWatching the action
Watching the action

Josh and I sat on chair at ringside; Trish took pictures on her camera from the sideline; Jen took pictures from the sideline then came on the floor for the award. Auntie Kim had Xander duty and had to keep him from running on the floor with big brother.
Orange BeltOrange Belt
Orange Belt

After the pro forma test, students were awarded their next belt with a parent in attendance.
Trish and Kim in poolTrish and Kim in pool
Trish and Kim in pool

Nice pool complex in the new development. This one was a bit of a drive, but has an "adult" pool with salt water and no kids allowed. Mother and daughter could go in and float and chat quietly and relax.
Xander and DaddyXander and Daddy
Xander and Daddy

Xander loves the water! You have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't try and follow Drew to the deeper part.
Drew swimmingDrew swimming
Drew swimming

Still doing the doggy paddle, but able to keep himself afloat and get across the pool. He loves to jump in the deeper part and swim to a parent or to the opposite edge, grinning from ear to ear once he gets there.
Brother and Sister helping Drew get startedBrother and Sister helping Drew get started
Brother and Sister helping Drew get started

Josh had been working with Drew on the 2-wheeler and the training wheels are off. He eagerly wanted to show of his abilities.
ON HIS OWNON HIS OWN
ON HIS OWN

Once he got started, Drew could ride for several hundred yards with no problem. Biggest issue? Turning his head to see if we were watching, then falling down. But no crying in bicycling, so back up, help to get started, then off he went again.
Happy Birthday, Jennifer!Happy Birthday, Jennifer!
Happy Birthday, Jennifer!

SO glad we could be there for her birthday. Josh got her favorite ice cream cake and dinner? Sushi, sushi, sushi!! Even the kids love it!
Auntie and XanderAuntie and Xander
Auntie and Xander

Who is grinning more? This is the whole reason Kim wanted to be in Florida--to spend time with her nephews.
Informal Family shotInformal Family shot
Informal Family shot

Some are more cooperative than others here. But here is three generations together.
Obasan, Auntie and the boysObasan, Auntie and the boys
Obasan, Auntie and the boys

Both boys are getting SO big. It's fun to see their development and to see Kim's joy in spending time with them as well.
Corps of Engineers campground in GACorps of Engineers campground in GA
Corps of Engineers campground in GA

On the way home, he camped at a COE Campground on the AL/GA border. Huge sites, privacy, quiet, and a wonderful lake to swim and relax.
Osprey nest near campsiteOsprey nest near campsite
Osprey nest near campsite

Heading home, we got close to this nest we could see from the campsite. Lots of wildlife on and in the lake to enjoy.


Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb