Florida in summer, Pt 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange Park
August 4th 2013
Published: August 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Daddy feeding XanderDaddy feeding XanderDaddy feeding Xander

Feed Xander, get Drew's food, clean the kids, do the dishes, fix his own food, do laundry, change diaper, help Drew with dressing, get dressed himself, put Xander down for nap, mow lawn......Yep, this is why he wanted some Mommy help from us for a couple of weeks. But he is very capable and is doing a great job with the kids.
Florida in August is not a destination taken lightly. We have been in spring, winter and fall. Last time we went in summer was for our son's wedding in 2005. But now our son was asking us to come since his wife had a two week business trip to the west coast and coping with two young boys looked overwhelming. We readily agreed and started preparing. First item was to transport Trish's motorscooter down to him.

Trish's knee is getting funky and she finally decided driving the motorscooter was not safe nor fun any longer. We took the scooter to our mechanic and he tuned it up and made sure it was safe and sound. Next we had to get a trailer to transport it. We looked at U-Haul but it was going to be over $400 for a month. We needed the trailer for that long because a) we were seeing other people in Florida and would be there that long and b) we were taking John's scooter also so we had transportation while camping. (It really is inconvenient to take a 26' RV to the market.) Mechanic Buddy came through and LOANED us his trailer. He not only
Josh and his new scooterJosh and his new scooterJosh and his new scooter

Though not required in FL, we insisted Josh get a helmet and urged him to wear a vest. The vest is required if he has to deliver on a military base.
loaned us his trailer; he came over and helped hook it up to the RV and then load both bikes and tie them down. Buddy even made an adaptor for the light plug to go between the trailer and the RV so we would have brake and turn lights. We are very fortunate to have a mechanic and friend like him.

We left on Sunday AM and drove as far as Anniston, AL where we stopped to get take out breakfast. Trish checked on the bikes and when I came out, she informed me that one bike was very loose and we spent 45 minutes refastening and securing the scoot. The trip for the next couple of hours saw us pulling into rest areas and rechecking at every opportunity. Once assured all was fine, we breathed easier and got to Josh in the early evening. We unloaded the scooters and then unhooked the trailer and stowed it next to Josh's house.

Our first week we had fun helping clean some branches and trees in the back yard, cleaning up a bit in the garage, and watching Drew splash in the above ground pool. Drew wears an excellent children's
Drew at MOSHDrew at MOSHDrew at MOSH

The Museum of Science and History in Jacksonville has a huge indoor tree house that the kids could climb up and then crawl inside and poke out through "windows" in the trunk.
life vest and likes to jump from the ladder and splash anyone close by. But his daddy is working with him to learn the "doggy paddle". They play for a long time and then Drew practices for a bit without the vest and has daddy close at hand.

One day Josh went to the blood center to have blood drawn and after we went to lunch at a great fast food Japanese restaurant. We were surprised at how good it was. Then we went to the Jacksonville Museum of Science and History (MOSH). It turns out our membership in the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville got us all in free here....great perk. The museum has an opening to a display on the digestive system that you enter by walking through a giant mouth and then follow the digestive track through the throat, stomach, intestines, and eventually exiting at....well, you understand. Since Drew had swallowed a penny a few months back and was in the hospital getting x-rays and inspection prior to eventually expelling the penny a day later, he was MOST interested in seeing the journey the penny took.

There were also displays of sea life and
Setting up on the beachSetting up on the beachSetting up on the beach

With lots of sun, it was essential to have some form of shade for the little ones.
reptiles indigenous to the area. There were skeletons of dolphins, models of turtles, and cages with snakes, frogs, and owls. One of the most interesting exhibits is the walk through the history of Jacksonville, going back to early man. There were dioramas of colonial life, early settlements, civil war life and post WWII growth. We did not have enough time to see it all, but it definitely warrants a return trip.

One day Josh, Drew, and John went out to get appropriate clothing for Josh to ride the scooter. He got a helmet, gloves, and safety vest. Now he needs to take a 2 day class on motorcycle safety and riding techniques. Although he will be riding a motorscooter (automatic transmission) he MUST learn and test on a motorcycle. The various vendors who teach the class all have motorcycles for the students to learn on and test on. These vendors teach a proscribed lesson plan and test to the state standard. If the student passes, the vendor prepares, certifies, and submits the paperwork to the state and then the new license is sent to the student. It is not cheap (about $180) but we will feel better once he
Trish watching DrewTrish watching DrewTrish watching Drew

Drew ran down to the shore to show Obasan his truck and play at the edge of the waves.
has taken and passed the class. Although he didn't have a motorcycle endorsement yet, he rode through his neighborhood to practice and once he and John rode both bikes around and checked out the neighborhood and issues with the bikes and riding. Josh did well and once he starts to use the scoot to deliver pizza, he'll see a real saving in gas money as the scooter gets @75 MPG.

Friday was a beach day so we gathered the troops (kids) and went. For those who might have forgotten, or never knew, one plus one does NOT equal two when it comes to children. We had been with Drew and mom and dad before: not too bad and fun. But even with 3 adults, it was not a fun experience. Start with gathering "stuff"--baby bottles and diaper bag, swim bag, big tub of toys for Drew, 3 chairs, sun shade and umbrella, plus towels and swim bag for us. That took about 20 minutes, easy. Then a 40 minute ride to the beach. Get out and 15 minutes to gather gear and hike across lot, up over sand dune, down other side to good spot above high tide mark.
Daddy takes Drew into the wavesDaddy takes Drew into the wavesDaddy takes Drew into the waves

Josh took Drew out in the waves for a bit of fun and to rinse off the sand accumulated in hair and over the body. Then it was time to head home.
Then 10 minutes to set up sun shade and umbrella, set chairs and finally, get to the water. Xander of course was not going in so he played in the sand under the sun shade...after trying to give him a bottle. Drew was afraid of the waves so played in the sand and Trish was worried about her knee so she didn't go in. I did get in and swim, boogie board and frolic. I finally came out and Josh went in. But then the sun, heat and lack of food (Xander was too distracted to eat so was hungry) meant it was time to leave. So pack up all the gear (10 minutes), hike back up the down and down the other side to the parking lot and change out of suits and wet diaper (20 minutes), drive home (40 minutes) and unload car (10 minutes.) Hmmm, so 3 hours of "admin and travel" time for about 30 minutes beach time. Not efficient and not effective. Next time we take more adults or fewer toys or kids.

Our two weeks went by quickly and we enjoyed spending time with our 3 boys. We fixed some foods they all
AFTER the chocolate cookieAFTER the chocolate cookieAFTER the chocolate cookie

Drew and Daddy baked chocolate cookies one day and brought them to the RV to share. They were warm and yummy. And obviously, enjoyable.
liked, went out to eat a couple of times at places Drew liked, and had fun visiting in the RV and sharing. Early on in the visit I made a birthday cake for Trish. She likes Lady Fingers smothered in a chocolate/egg white mix and covered in real whipped cream. I gave the whipped cream beaters to Drew and he loved licking them off. When we presented the cake and told him it was her birthday, he led the singing! After two weeks, Jen finally returned and the kids (and Josh!) were really excited to see her and have her home. We made dinner for her of things we knew she liked and even had a "Happy coming home and anniversary" cake from the bakery for her. She could be found the next couple of days in the kids' rooms on the floor, playing with them or cuddling them on the couch. Yep, everyone missed mommy. So now it was time for us to get ready to leave.

Alexander is learning to crawl! Well, he was showing interest when they visited us in June, but he is really eager. We kept encouraging him and finally he saw something he
Drew learning to swimDrew learning to swimDrew learning to swim

Here Drew pushes off from Josh and begins his backstroke. He made it half way across the 17' pool.
really wanted out of reach, put it all together, and crawled about 3 "crawls" worth to get it. Yea!! Josh Skyped with Jen and showed her. Next day, Xander went further. Then there was no stopping him. He now crawls all over the house, terrorizing the dogs and cat, getting where he wants to go. Drew thinks it is interesting. We kept saying, "You now have a problem, Drew." Well, yesterday, Xander crawled to the mat where they put their shoes when they come in. Xander found Drew's favorite Crocks and started playing with them. At that, Drew got upset.."NO, baby. MY shoes." Oh goody, we were leaving just in time.

Next stop is south in Daytona Beach to see a friend from our second tour in Iwakuni. Carol Lockwood was the head of HR there and we worked several projects for the Commanding Officer in our short time together. We try to get to Daytona to see her whenever we are in FL and this will be a chance to relax, catch up, and share stories. More on all this in the next post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Doggy paddleDoggy paddle
Doggy paddle

When he got tired of the backstroke, Drew flipped over and doggy paddled the rest of the way to the ladder. He has picked all this up in a matter of days and now loves to swim without his life vest...as long as Daddy is in the pool.
Neighborhood ducksNeighborhood ducks
Neighborhood ducks

Large flocks of ducks live in the kid's neighborhood and wander from yard to yard, sometimes getting handouts of bread. This flock of Mother and 10 grown young'ns rested in the shade of our RV, which is in Josh's drive. When it was really hot, they would get under the RV!
Xander crawlingXander crawling
Xander crawling

Once he figured it out, he delighted in moving all around. Here he is coming down the hall to the front door....or Drew's room....or his room....wherever he wants now.
Loading scooterLoading scooter
Loading scooter

Only one scooter is easier to load than 2. On the last morning, Josh helped get the trailer hooked up and then tie down the scooter. With a tire chock in front now, this was much easier and safer than the trip down. Off to visit friends in FL!


26th August 2013

Summer........Florida?????
I am sure now that you and Trish are "hardcases"...lol! I spent 9 months in Florida from April thru November once..............the summer was horrifying for a person that hates humidity and has curly hair! Hoping all of your travels are always fun and interesting......even if they are a bit sticky! ;)

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb