Swamp Tours - BIG Lake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Okeechobee
April 7th 2011
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 27.2438, -80.8328

We began our trip north by taking an unscheduled trip through the western suburbs of Miami. Saw some very nice houses along the way. Once we had located the correct highway we continued to the Seminole Indian Reservation. The Native Indians here seem to be more progressive many of them owning very nice homes and there were excellent health, education and safety facilities. Quite different from what we often see in BC. We took both the air boat and swamp buggy tours. The swamp here is quite different from the Louisiana swamps. From there we continued north to Lake Okeechobee which is very large in the center of Florida. The lake seems to be the source of water for many of the coastal cities and there are large canals carrying the water. We drove through a large farming area and saw orange trees, tomatoes, corn, and potatoes. There was a very large plant which we thought was a refinery and turned out to be a citrus processing facility. There are also sugar processing facilities which we think were used to process corn and maybe some sugar cane. Tomorrow we head east towards the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



9th April 2011

Hi Zelma & John,I cannot believe your blog. It is just great. Boy, you have covered a lot of territory. I was quite impressed with Cedar Keys - buildings look similar to New Orleans. and I quite liked Santa Cruz. Glad to hear the weathe
r has improved. You really hit some storms. Carla

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb