Back into Biscayne Bay


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Springs
March 26th 2011
Published: March 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Through one of the cutsThrough one of the cutsThrough one of the cuts

mangroves and clear waters
Thursday morning we left Shell Key and continued up the ICW through the waters of Florida Bay bearing names as colorful as the greens and blues of the waters themselves: Cotton Key Basin, Buttonwood Sound, Tarpon Basin, Blackwater Sound, Barnes Sound, Little Card Sound, and, finally, Card Sound. We skirted the boundary of Everglades National Park, which extends way down into Florida Bay until we reached Jewfish Creek, where the NP boundary turned north to run parallel to US 1. We traversed the sometimes narrow passes and cuts: Steamboat Channel, Cowpens Cut, Ramshorn Cut, Baker Cut, Grouper Creek, Dusenbury Creek and Jewfish Creek.

At the north end of Card Sound, within sight of Biscayne Bay, we dropped our anchor. The wind was moderate, but forecast to calm and change direction, but instead intensified, and our anchor slipped. So we moved back to the south of end of Card Sound and again anchored, this time in calmer waters. Soon the winds dropped and changed directions, but we were secure. We watched the sun set over the cooling canals from the nuclear plant at Turkey Point and celebrated Sara and Trevor’s safe arrival in Bimini.

Friday morning should have been a
Florida BayFlorida BayFlorida Bay

Buttonwood Sound
fairly quick jaunt to Matheson Hammock marina, but heavy fog kept us at anchor until 10:30. Biscayne Bay was smooth and beautiful, in shades of turquoise. We spotted the faux lighthouse on Boca Chita Key, the lighthouse on Fowey Rock, and finally the Cape Florida light. The tall buildings of downtown Miami, Key Biscayne, and Miami Beach came into view. There was a sailboat regatta underway up ahead. The boat traffic was minimal and most minded their manners, not counting the go-fast fishermen in a big rush with their big wakes. Pretty peaceful for Biscayne Bay, but it was a weekday.

We pulled into Matheson Hammock marina and got fuel before pulling into a slip where our boat will rest for the next week. The pumpout was blocked by a boat that had broken down, so we’ll have to go down in the next day or two to get the toilet emptied. Kerry wants to change the oil, too, and I desperately need to vacuum the boat.

So we’re settled for the week at Mom’s in Miami Springs. Oh boy, Fox News and TBN.

More later.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

US 1 bridgeUS 1 bridge
US 1 bridge

over Jewfish Creek
Card Sound BridgeCard Sound Bridge
Card Sound Bridge

from Barnes Sound
Sunset Sunset
Sunset

from Card Sound
Biscayne BayBiscayne Bay
Biscayne Bay

beautiful turquoise water
Downtown MiamiDowntown Miami
Downtown Miami

visible through the haze
Off Our RockerOff Our Rocker
Off Our Rocker

settled in Matheson Hammock Marina


26th March 2011

Florida Bay
So happy for you guys to be on this exciting adventure! Sounds like something different every day. What a life! Thanks for letting us share in your travels!
26th March 2011

The Miami skyline looks a teeny bit familiar. Have fun with your mom and family, Charlie....and do enjoy FOX!! Kerry gonna get to enjoy some MARCH MADNESS????
27th March 2011

Visiting back in Miami
Hi to all, Glad to you made it up to the Miami area..back for visiting family and the "old stomping grounds". Good to hear that Sara and Trevor arrived safely in Bimini. I hope the weather is good and the visiting is splendid for all. Love ya.
28th March 2011

miss you
Hi Charlie and Kerry, hope you are enjoying being on the move again, though Marathon misses you! Softball is not the same, thats for sure. Saw on Sarah's blog that they are in Bimini. What great tales they will have for their grandchildren someday!! Best wishes on the rest of your journey. Take care, Cindy and Alex
30th March 2011

hi
Hello there, regards to your mom and brother Charlie, I know you are enjoying the visits and the weather. Miss you all.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb