Two very different days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Marathon
April 12th 2024
Published: April 13th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Titusville 1Titusville 1Titusville 1

From our motel towards the ocean about 4 pm—still a bit grey and threatening looking but now clear and warm.
Visited family in Beaufort, SC, for a few days then set out for the Keys. Friends had encouraged us to go before they sink into the ocean and we thought that a good idea. Of course, the weather report for Thursday was torrential downpour and high winds. We had planned to go part way—staying overnight in Titusville, near Cape Kennedy. Began to rain at 3 a.m., lightning, thunder, the whole bit. Got soaked getting to and in the car. Huge puddles by the roadside and, of course, a variety of accidents (mostly on the other side). Hard drive but we made it, got checked in just in time for it to clear up. Walked to a steak house for a yummy dinner.

On the road next morning, lots of traffic! Stuck to the toll roads which, we were told, would be faster…. Had lunch in Key Largo then came on downto Marathon, where we’re staying. Heck of a view! Unpacked, got groceries, etc., and will begin relaxing…


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Titusville 2Titusville 2
Titusville 2

Looking to the south. We walked down to dinner. In the morning, it was far too bright to take a pic and thankfully, that continued for the drive south.
Key Largo at the Visitors CenterKey Largo at the Visitors Center
Key Largo at the Visitors Center

Really a marketing spot for a tour company. But they gave us a nice map (we are that old) and coupons for a couple places. I would say they gave us directions but it’s a two-lane road; they did give us a good idea of time to get places.
Key LargoKey Largo
Key Largo

The most north Key.
View from lunchView from lunch
View from lunch

Stopped at Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill resort and had a great lunch on the waterfront. They were setting up for music in the evening and we could imagine it would be fun.
Balcony viewBalcony view
Balcony view

Atlantic side
Balcony viewBalcony view
Balcony view

The pink glow on the horizon is reflection of the sunset, just on the other side of the key.


Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb