Alaska Trip Launch


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Tomorrow is the official launch day for our extended trip to Alaska. This blog is about the extended preparation that began with selecting two wardrobes to cover the heat of summer to the cool nights in Alaska. We elected to put our warm summer clothes in the coach and then used plastic boxes for our light winter gear. We will switch out as the need arises during the trip.

The next effort involved setting up communications to insure connectivity while we telecommuted as part of our work. For our RV Entrepreneur friends we selected the WeBoost for our cell coverage enhancement along with the Truck mirror mounted antenna to give the communications and extra boost in power. Many thanks to our good friend Jeff Byrd with B&H Machining in Jacksonville FL for manufacturing a custom mount for the antenna to fit our Winnebago Cambria. This served us very well going through the backwoods of Georgia on our earlier trip posted here. We had complete coverage for phone and data during that trip keeping VPN connectivity using our telephone hot spot along the way for secure transmissions. Reviews showed that this arrangement worked well in both Yellowstone NP as well as Lake Louise in Canada. Those will be two of our destinations along the way.

Once you get to your camp spot its great to have a good tow car. We use an All Terrain tow package which flexes when you get to rough and twisty roads and the Hummer follows in the same track as the tow vehicle. We have a brake assist which aids in the braking of the vehicle being towed synchronizing with the vehicle doing the towing. This adds to the safety of your travel. We like the 4 wheel drive of the H3 with the narrower wheel base from the H2. This allows us to get to great photographic vantage points down fire trails without much fear of getting stuck. We have found neat spots where I would not have wanted to take a two wheel drive vehicle.

Last but not least a great campers friend is good old WD40. it loosens up connections with a few squirts that would take forever to work loose without it. You will never regret having an extra can around. The next must have is duct tape. Two must haves for camping that not everyone will tell you about.

You can see that the vehicles are ready now and the journey will begin early tomorrow morning and we will be "ON THE ROAD AGAIN" going places where we have never been.

Stay tuned for more pictures and fun. Click that you want to be a follower and you will be notified by email each time we post something new.

Next stop a beautiful lake just outside of Birmingham AL.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



5th June 2018

Safe travels - Have a Blast!
Marvin, Bonnie and Sadie, As you head off to your amazing journey, be safe, have a blast, earns make memories on this wonderous adventure!
5th June 2018

Anxious to travel along!!!!
5th June 2018

Wish you guys could come with us. At least in spirit. ?
5th June 2018

Looks Like Fun
Sigh . . . everyone is leaving and you all look so happy to be leaving us for 4 months! Happy, safe travels to you two. We will miss you but will look forward to your updates. XO
10th June 2018

Jealous
Got to admit, we feel little jealousy; however, we wish you the best of luck and it appears with all the preperation, you will enjoy the trip. That is great!!
11th June 2018

We know that you will be with us in spirit. We will miss you guys.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb