Aye aye captain Jon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Cape Coral
November 13th 2015
Published: November 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful day to go sailing.
Up early and straight to the boat office to fill in the paperwork and get all the info, Jon had sailed boats many times so he was our captain for the day!Follwed the lady to the house where the boat was kept, had a walk around checking it over and the sailed along the canal out towards the gulf.Kat and I relaxed in the sun, gazing at the amazing houses which lined the waterways.Passed through the lock and out into the gulf. Headed out towards Sanibel island, Jon opened the throttle and we sped out into the open waters. Dropped anchor just off the island and swam off the boat in the clear, warm waters.Jon and Kat swam to shore while Alex and I cracked open beers and kept charge of the boat.Ready for some lunch, the guys studied the map and we went to find a waterside restaurant. Up ahead we saw a group on a boat who had been stopped by the police. As we got past them, Jon sped up and off we went. Seconds later we heard the police boat siren and realised we were being stopped.Apparently we were in an area where there were manatees and there was a speed restriction, now we had been given info on the manatee zones and we certainly had. ot seen a sign. Despite Jons protestations he was given a fine which would arrive at his home address.Kind of put a dampner on the morning, but we joked about it, mostly at Jon's expense and lightened the moment.Found a lovely place for lunch, moored in quite a tight spot and went into the restaurant and enjoyed delicious home cooked food, resisted the key lime pie and headed back to the boat.Did I mention it was a tight spot we were moored in?Jon did a great job of getting out but sailed a little too close to a huge super yacht and gave its anchor a good clipping with our boat's bimini canopy. Thought we'd got away with it until the guy cleaning the boat appeared. Thankfully no damage was done and we quickly headed back to open water and in the direction of home!Filled up the tank, sailed back through the lock, cracked open some more beers and gently sailed back to the villa as the sun went down. Despite the two incidents it was a fab day.Returned to the villa, turned on the tv to see the terrible news of the terror attacks in Paris.Another bbq in the evening and a relatively early night as we were all tired with the sea air and activities of the day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb