More Cold and Windy Days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Apalachicola
December 6th 2010
Published: December 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

East BayEast BayEast Bay

a bit choppy
Sunday, 5 December, 2010

We left Panama City under sunny skies and strong north winds. We were concerned about getting out of our slips, backing into the wind, but both captains managed like pros. We met several big boats as we headed east into East Bay. I guess they were in a hurry to get to Sunday champagne brunch at the yacht club. The Coast Guard passed us, too, but were polite enough to call on the radio to advise us of their intentions.

Even though it was pretty windy, we managed to cross East Bay without being rocked too much by beam seas. We were happy to get into the more sheltered water past the bay. Once in the skinny part of the ICW, 4 big boats came up behind us and radioed their intentions to pass us. They later turned out of the ICW into the canal to Pt. St. Joe, while we stayed on towards Apalachicola. We anchored in an oxbow off the waterway about 15 miles from Apalachicola in 7 feet of water. Once it got dark, it was really dark. The sky was velvety black and the stars were very bright.

Monday, 6
Boat under constructionBoat under constructionBoat under construction

just past East Bay
December, 2010

It was pretty cold this morning, our thermometer read 39 on the back deck and 41 in the pilot house. We crossed Wimico Lake and proceeded on to Apalachicola. We intended to stop at Water Street Marina and Hotel, but when we pulled into a slip, we stirred up mud and our depth gauge read 0. Not a happy reading. We pulled out and went on down to Scipio Creek Marina.

There we found Sara’s dock parents, Linda and Phil Waste, waiting for our arrival. It was great to see them. Once we got tied up and registered, we met them in the restaurant for warm drinks and lunch. Linda took Sara and Trevor into town for insulated underwear and other supplies. After they got back, Linda, Sara and I went to the grocery for a few more meal makings. Then back at the boat, some more visiting and lots of laughs. They also had some good advice, since they’ve made the Gulf crossing several times, and have personal knowledge of anchorages in the area.

The next couple of nights are going to be quite cold, and we’re discussing options for when to leave and
Narrow part of ICWNarrow part of ICWNarrow part of ICW

We had about 15 miles of this view
start the crossing. At least the winds are going to settle down some.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Canal to Port St. JoeCanal to Port St. Joe
Canal to Port St. Joe

a break in the scenery
Our anchorageOur anchorage
Our anchorage

the charts call this "impenetrable swamp"
Spanish Moss in treesSpanish Moss in trees
Spanish Moss in trees

Now it looks like the Florida panhandle
SunsetSunset
Sunset

from our anchorage
Wimico LakeWimico Lake
Wimico Lake

between the impenetrable swamp and Apalachicola River
Swing BridgeSwing Bridge
Swing Bridge

north of Apalachicola
Dear FriendsDear Friends
Dear Friends

Phil, Trevor, Linda and Sara


8th December 2010

Just thinking of you and being out there on the cold water. Love will keep you warm tho!!!!!!! I can smell the saltwater =)

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb