Fort Clinch on Amelia Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Amelia Island
April 28th 2015
Published: April 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Construction of this fort, named for a hero of the War of 1812, was begun in 1847. It was to have both inner and outer walls, corner bastions, internal barracks, and several large smooth-bore cannons. Its construction would require some 5,000 bricks and tons of mortar. History buffs are sure to find the construction techniques interesting today.

Confederate troops seized it in 1861, but ceded it to Union forces a year later. After the Civil War it was neglected and deteriorated badly until restoration was begun as a make-work project in the 1930s. In 1935 the State of Florida bought it, and for a while it was open to the public as an unfinished part of the larger State Park.

In 1972 it was listed in the National Registry of Historic Places, and its potential as a tourist attraction was realized, but a lot of work remained to be done. Restoration is not yet complete, but today it is open to the public as the oldest brick and mortar fort in the country and an interesting example of life during the Civil War, complete with re-enactors dressed as Union soldiers. On the first weekend of each month elaborate drills, rifle and cannon firing, other military exercises of the time, and candlelight tours are performed using many more re-enactors. Unfortunately, our schedule didn’t coincide with these events.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



29th April 2015
Duty guards' accommodations at least had the luxury of a fireplace.

We'd be giants!
Seems ot me those beds are awful short - even for me. would 5.8 1/2 " have been really tall for a soldier back then?

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb