Spartans hit the capital!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was another successful one as our 2011 US History Trip begins to wind down. We began the day at Mount Vernon which was George Washington’s home. The grounds are immaculate and the buildings have been restored or rebuilt to represent how they looked when he died in 1799. We were told that about 40% of the art, artifacts, and furniture were original pieces! We even got to use the original banister as we walked up to the second floor of the mansion. It was truly an amazing experience! We ate lunch at the food court at Mount Vernon and then departed for Arlington National Cemetery. What a moving experience for everyone. Notable graves include John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Ted Kennedy, William Taft, and several others. We were able to watch the changing of the guard! It is a very solemn reminder of those who lost their lives for our country who were also lost to history. After Arlington, we went to Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum which was an interesting experience to say the least! Some described it as fun while others found it a bit.... creepy. We then had a very good dinner and ice cream at Chevy’s before departing for the Jefferson and then FDR Memorials. These are two fantastic memorials for two of our nation’s greatest presidents and leaders. It was neat to get to experience so many things today that we see on TV, read in books, and learn about in school. Being able to stand in George Washington’s home, stand next to the Thomas Jefferson statue, and see the hundreds of thousands who gave their lives at Arlington National Cemetery gives us all a greater appreciation for our country and for those who helped create it. What a great day!

As some have probably already heard, we have caught a little stomach bug. We hope the worst is behind us, but the pictures are bit lacking today because I stayed behind to let those who felt poorly rest. We are keeping a close eye on the kiddos and if it warrants it, we will certainly call home to keep you updated.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

14th June 2011

You all are doing so much, it is truly hard to keep up! These pictures are amazing, I feel like I am there. Thank you so much for sharing. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb