Lion Gulch (Estes Park)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
June 9th 2006
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For this week's hike we (my dad and I) decided not to stray too far from where we were the previous week (Crosier Mountain). Lion Gulch is accessed via a trailhead just off of US 36 on the way up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. This is another good dog-friendly trail, but due to the drought we were experiencing in Colorado, there really wasn't enough water for the two thirsty yellow labs who joined us on this hike (the Vicious Snow Beasts from Hike #3). Anyway, this hike follows the gulch floor, passing under several craggy rock formations. Eventually, the trail starts to climb (quite steeply at times) and then levels off in meadows above the gulch. This is a great place for Colorado history buffs as these meadows were once home to several homesteaders. In fact, the trail branches off in several places, leading to the remnants of these settler's homes. One of these settlers (I can't remember her name right now) was a single woman who raised chickens, and every week would make the long trip down to Lyons to sell eggs and buy supplies. OK, I obviously like a good hike, but that's difficult for me to wrap my head around! Directions: From Boulder, follow US 36 to Lyons. Follow the signs for Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Watch for a well-marked trail head on the left side of the road, about ten minutes outside of Estes Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb