Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Steamboat Springs
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another scorcher in Las Vegas with the official temperature 109 and 10% humidity. The thermometer on the outside of my rig reads 115 so the pool is most inviting. My shower this morning was interesting. With the outside hose I didn't have to use any hot water as the “cold” water wasn't. Thank goodness for 50 amp service feeding both air conditioners.
Today I made up at the Las Vegas Rotary Club and heard Lawyer Mark Hutchinson talk about the 26 state lawsuit against Obamacare (led by Florida) and its probable appearance before the Supreme Court this fall. Sitting at the same table was a local fellow Rotarian born a couple of miles from me in Columbus, Ohio. Small world! Mary is off testing the machines while I plan an auto trip to the various local NPS and Wilderness Areas tomorrow and the next days.
On Saturday and Sunday we enjoyed being with friends Mike and Marianne Stephens as they hosted us at their home and introduced us to their church friends. The continuing heat provided an opportunity for Mary to cool off in the local casino while I held down the fort in the rig and did some shopping for supplies.
Monday was our chance to tour Hoover Dam and a local National Fish Hatchery in AZ (where I appeared to be the first person in memory of the staff to request a National Wildlife Refuge cancellation stamp). Returning to the Vegas area we met a couple of rangers, down a dusty 10 mile road at the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, for a stamp (they had a nice display of desert wildlife) and continued on to the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest with a magnificent BLM visitor center containing expansive views of the red rock walls through large windows and patio displays relating to desert elements. The Forest Service visitor center at the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area was co located with a nice campground. The following day my Rotary makeup was conveniently located in a Casino so Mary tried again. Our visit to the Valley of Fire State Park's 6 mile long basin displayed the amazing red sandstone cliffs, arches and rock pillars that make this a popular visitor site. We returned via the Lake Mead National Recreation Area scenic byway. Our sole visit to “The Strip” consisted of a drive down Las Vegas Boulevard as we enjoyed people watching from a relatively cool vehicle.
Wednesday, 31 August we bade LV goodby and, using a circuitous route to avoid the rush hour traffic, we head northwest through Arizona to Utah. As we climbed and descended through the mountainous country bordering the national parks and forests we marveled at the magnificent scenery and skills of the road builders. Spending the night in Selina we proceeded the next day on a great scenic trip south to Natural Bridges National Park through the varicolored rock passes of Castle Valley, San Rafael Reef National Forest, and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Then it was back up to Moab via Manti-La Sal National Forest and Canyon Lands National Park. After a relaxing night in a rustic but satisfactory Passport America (½ price) park we lunched in Grand Junction,CO prior to arriving at the rural home of Carol and Gary Williams for some relaxing fellowship.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb